Need advice and experience - will work for free!

robbutler

Hi all,

Am new to this forum and very keen to become a tree surgeon. I'm currently doing voluntary work in Woodland Management in Manchester and about to register for courses CS30 and CS31 in January if I can't find any in December.

Have learnt a little about pruning fruit trees, working in France in the past, and will do whatever it takes to get full-time work. I know it will take time and a lot of work.

Would any Greater Manchester tree surgeons let me shadow for a day or so, so I can learn more? Will happily work for free.

Am also after advice on training and how best to get into work. Are there apprenticeships out there? Have called a couple of local firms but had no joy so far.

Have just found a 6-week course online that seems to cover the basics but costs over 5000 quid - does that seem like a good deal or not? see link

Fast Track Tree Surgery Course : Proclimber Professional Arborist Products Online, Supplies for the professional arborist

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob, and welcome to the forum.

Great enthusiasm. I think you need an attitude like that to get a foot in the

door, so to speak. A mate of mine worked for £30 per day for months before

getting a rise, but he learned loads.

I would say that working for a private company or sole trader, you may find it

difficult to extract the finer details from your boss. Especially regarding

pricing. Efficient working techniques and basic necessary kit will be more

obvious . It's not uncommon for people to set up in competition with their

previous employer and right-or-wrong you may encounter some hostility or

unhelpful behaviour. Be ready for that.

That's where training comes in alongside your work experience.

I haven't analysed the Proclimber course in detail but the courses in general have gone up in price considerably, and six weeks accomodation included would be great. Sabbatical here we come!

There's a lot of value in being able to ask millions of questions, but on-the-job experience is invaluable and something built up over years and thousands of difference scenarios and trees. Both are necessary.

You're starting in the right direction and if you want to move to North Yorkshire I'll happily give you some paid work. :thumbup:

Good luck with the journey. And take care,

Perkins

sounds steep to me. I'd get your basic tickets, find work and read a few text books and you'll learn a lot more and get paid for it. Craven college in Skipton seems to be doing the cheapest courses around. do 30,31, and the tree climbing course, what used to be 38/39. both will cost you less then £1000. The buy a saw, trouser, boots and helmet. You'll be set up to work as a groundie. There's great books that combined with working experience are more then enough.

Hi Rob, A mate of mine is the course tutor at one of the big arb collages. When the collage is out, or at wk ends, he undertakes private one on one tutoring at my place. He can do all the cs stages, and then take you to the collage where the NPTC assesor will do your tests. Hes very reasonable on rates, and its a good way of testing the water to decide if arb work is for you or not without commiting to thousands in fees.

You would require your own PPE, and I can loan you a saw (you break it you pay for it!!)

There is a private woodland at my place for practice, and a few good "climbing trees" should you want to go on to cs38 & 39.

All I ask is you respect my property and leave it as you find it. (you can buy me chippy dinner if you like)

This is in no way dodgy and assesment is with NPTC with certificates issued (assuming you pass!)

If your interested PM me and I will sort something for you.

TOM.

Hi Rob, A mate of mine is the course tutor at one of the big arb collages. When the collage is out, or at wk ends, he undertakes private one on one tutoring at my place. He can do all the cs stages, and then take you to the collage where the NPTC assesor will do your tests. Hes very reasonable on rates, and its a good way of testing the water to decide if arb work is for you or not without commiting to thousands in fees.

You would require your own PPE, and I can loan you a saw (you break it you pay for it!!)

There is a private woodland at my place for practice, and a few good "climbing trees" should you want to go on to cs38 & 39.

All I ask is you respect my property and leave it as you find it. (you can buy me chippy dinner if you like)

This is in no way dodgy and assesment is with NPTC with certificates issued (assuming you pass!)

If your interested PM me and I will sort something for you.

TOM.

What a cracking offer Tom, good on you.

Get in touch with him Rob.

Keep us all posted on how you get on.