Newbie help

Arran Turner

Ive just getting into arboriculture and ive got loads of questions to ask:

When climbing will you use the same brand of karabiners for everything or do you use different brands/colours to make life eaiser?

How many bags / rucksags does your climbing kit take up when you are working, is there tips and tricks for uses the least aamount of bags possible? if possible

Do you have many variations in silkys for different trees?

Sorry if the questions are random, i just want to know as much as possible, i know theses questions will be different for different people but I dont mind :001_smile:

Arran

Thanks again

When climbing will you use the same brand of karabiners for everything or do you use different brands/colours to make life eaiser?

My kit i have a total of 15 Krabs I only have 3 that i will ever put my life on as i know they have only been used For that one Job only and the groundy has not used it for something else, All parts of my kit has One job and one Job only to do. Most of my Krabs are all the Same make and model DDM all the way for me, But each one has its own ID code made by myself.

How many bags / rucksags does your climbing kit take up when you are working, is there tips and tricks for uses the least amount of bags possible? if possible

Depends on what you have I have one big bag that has my Krabs,spikes,harness, bits and bobs in and a Second just for my rope. The least you have the less to lose!

Do you have many variations in silkys for different trees?

Just one silky depends on What your budget it and what your cutting size wise. Silkys start from 270mm I think and go up to 420mm What ever you can afford in the budget will mean what saw you get. Never cheap out on a Hand Saw. Bigger is not always the best.

Look around the Forum you will find loads of stuff, As your new if your not on a course yet Go get on one Best choice you will make

Thank you very much, everything was answered in one hit :)

Im currently on an extended horticulture course at writtle college and in my second year and have my cs30 31 and 38 in jan feb, i plan to do an online arb course as arb colleges are to far away sadly.

Thanks again

Arran

How old are you Arran, If your under 25 i would really Push it To try and do it all college base and not online. Nothing wrong with moving away I studied in Liverpool i know live and work in Nottingham. Hell of change ive made and still have not looked back. Reason why i say If your under 25 Most people at that age have full time jobs and only have the time to do it online. Arbor is a very Hands on and also very theory based as well best of luck what ever path you take

Sorry if i have offended any of the wiser members lol

i use black carabiners for attachment to my harness, black = do not touch

green gate carabiners for on and off i.e. changovers (although my lanyard snap lock is red gate!)

i have two big bags, one for rigging kit, one for climbing kit, and two rope bags, one for my 45m climbing rope and one for my 45m rigging line, keeps them out the way and helps keep kit seperate in the bags.

i have two silky saws, a 330mm zubat and a 36mm sugoi, the sugoi has a more aggressive cut so is suited to harder reductions or removals where you want more cutting speed, the zubat is good for smaller reductions as the teeth do not bite as much.

tom, you can get silky pocket saws which are about 200mm ish i think, and can get really posh ones up to about 500mm or more.