precision falling maple spar

dadio

Awwwww Daniel i thought we had something special going :confused1:

I was not questioning your skills X i was mearly saying that the tree clearly was not a strait forward fell . i guess somethings have to come to an end

BTW what you wearing right now ?XXXXXX:001_smile:

Dave, I really, really worry about you, but perhaps im now beginning to understand why Chris drives the Mog everywhere and not ride shotgun in your truck!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, I really, really worry about you, but perhaps im now beginning to understand why Chris drives the Mog everywhere and not ride shotgun in your truck!

ha you worry about me ? had you never wondered why i will not ride shotgun in the mog ???

Now then this is not helping Daniels viewer ratings , lets get back to the matter in hand

Good shot Dan....and with it being a high cut I'm assuming you were relying soley on the gun-sight.

For those suggesting that was somehow staged for youtube, you shouldn't forget that the footage was taken from the customers phone, probably as evidence in the event of it going wrong....had that happen many times, not so much the going wrong part.

We were supposed to video that, but it never made it to tape.. missed another couple of good drops as well in the next two days, as there was a problem with the tape on one and another not showing up for an unknown reason.. Have yet to take the "monetized" option on youtube.. don't make a dime off it..

Here's a couple vids of me doing some climbing, which is getting rare these days. Some big trees here!.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5bt6NJEVAI]widowmakers 2010.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fme7HPNDUQk]Rebel Rd oak removal 2009.mov - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isj8N5o6IkU]large silver maple removal.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Picked up the check today and the customer reminded me of why he gets so nervous around tree falling.. He tried to do it himself with a big tree near the house years ago, and it started going wrong.. he managed to get it down with some yellow poly line and pulling with a toyota.. or was it a honda? Sounded like a nasty situation that he squeaked out of..

Daniel, just an observation, but could you not have laid a "mat" on the drive, then felled it from the floor giving it a pull with the skid steer?

I have a feeling you could have done it for the buzz though and all the dramatics that follow posting it on the forums:blushing:

I realise we only saw the shot from one angle, but I'm a great believer in assessing all options. In this case, IMO, there seemed to be a few options but you chose to do it via one of the more "risky" ones.

NO .. there was no good way to protect the driveway.. tough to tell from the vid, but the drive was set up on top of a little incline... The top of that curb was close to 3' above grade... Even if it was flat, you'd need a lot of padding to protect a drive from a log that big coming down that fast..

Tree Falling: a maple spar in a fairly tight drop zone between a house and the neighbor's driveway. This 1 minute video was shot by the customer on his phone.. The background conversation is between the customer and the neighbors.

I was originally planning on making the cut from the ground, but didn't like the bend in the spar, which could have caused the tree to bounce and roll after impact. So I decided to make the cut at about 10' height from the bucket. It takes a good deal of confidence to make these types of cuts when there is so much valuable property at risk.

If you listen closely at the very end, you can hear the customer say "I need to take my medication".. :biggrin:

rubbish

and by the way, this comment isn't open for debate, you can attempt to challenge my assertion the video is rubbish but I wont respond. So the vid will always be rubbish.

All you videos and techniques are rubbish.