Cost of Training

conkers

CS39 makes sure you are safe using a saw in a tree and teaches you how to remove limbs and make a cut to the branch collar but doesn't really demand any technical climbing and it certainly doesn't teach you to prune trees, CS40 you are expected to be able to climb to the ends of limbs and do reductions cuts. Personally i found CS40 one of the most demanding NPTC courses i did.

If you've never used a saw in a tree before or just passed a CS39 10ft. off the ground, should you be let loose doing crown reductions on local authority trees? I am all for the CS40 pruning course. Too many people doing the job badly already - all education is worth having.

CS39 eases you into saw use in a tree, then cs40 builds on it.

Anyone who is up 2 scratch doesn't have to take the training anyway, just book a test with an NPTC assessor!

I think you can either climb or you cant there is no middle ground.

I think 39/40/41 should all be one course and one assesment.

in the tight times ahead i dont see many people do these courses only the ones needed by insurance companies.

I would have to agree as some one starting in the life, paying for these courses out of my own pocket, that according to some of their schedules they do overlap (am I paying for training and assessment twice:thumbdown:)

With a family in tow, what are my prospect.....the same as everyone else or worse?:scared1::scared1:

I would have to agree as some one starting in the life, paying for these courses out of my own pocket, that according to some of their schedules they do overlap (am I paying for training and assessment twice:thumbdown:)

With a family in tow, what are my prospect.....the same as everyone else or worse?:scared1::scared1:

none of the practical really overlaps although some general questions do such as risk assessment but the main of what the assessments are about are different

I think you can either climb or you cant there is no middle ground.

I think 39/40/41 should all be one course and one assesment.

do you really think you can teach someone to use a chainsaw in a tree safely then thin a tree and teach them to dissmantle trees using lowering ropes all on one course and the assessment would be a massive assessment with folk standing less chance of passing when i mistake could mean it was all over

folk keep going on about falling standards but this would not be my way of raising standards

:confused1:If the system changing its only fair to make old hands retrain to.

Every one past the 5 years mark should have to re-take the new tests over again.

Since it would be unfair to make new climbers follow new rules no more grandfather crap.

I wonder how many of you old boys would start moaning then.

• 1 month later...