Upgrading Defender to heavy duty

Crazy Cutter

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on a 3500kg the front axle has extension plates on the bump stops, the chassis doesn't have to be double plated as someone said the double plated are utility company spec (they rust like a bitch between the plates) I have just replaced my 130 plated with a standard one as they can't be got galvanised double plated, apart from the HD rear axle and inner helper springs thats pretty much all you need.

On another note there are some 130's out there that are plated at 3050kg so just check the plate if you ever buy one.

on a 3500kg the front axle has extension plates on the bump stops, the chassis doesn't have to be double plated as someone said the double plated are utility company spec (they rust like a bitch between the plates) I have just replaced my 130 plated with a standard one as they can't be got galvanised double plated, apart from the HD rear axle and inner helper springs thats pretty much all you need.

On another note there are some 130's out there that are plated at 3050kg so just check the plate if you ever buy one.

Thankyou tha'ts all i need to know i think.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the response i got ftom the relevant govt department when i inquired about stretching my 110 to a 130.

Thank you for your email of 13 October regarding changes to your vehicle.

The first thing you would need to do would be to contact the vehicle manufacturer to confirm if any changes are feasible.

The garage would have to be a reputable one and as mentioned your insurance company would need to know. DVLA would need to know for any change on the registration document.

I hope this helps.

Pat Negus

Correspondence Section

International Vehicle Standards Division

1/33 Great Minster House

33 Horseferry Road

LONDON

SW1P 4DR

0207 944 2076

GTN 3533 2076

Hi, for what it is worth, here is my ten pence worth. I built a 127 using all the bits from a military 110. Other than the rear prop and a 17" piece of 109 back body in the middle it was all 110. The early 127's were cut 110 chassis' with a 17" section welded in(like mine).they were built by Special vehicle operations at Landrover. They had along the top and bottom of the chassis rails 3mm plate 75mm wide running nearly the full length of the vehicle. Heavy duty 110s also had this additional plate. On later models this was not added and chassis one piece. All 110 and 127 Brakes the same. 3500gvw springs were coils within coils on the back. As the factory registered the early 127's as 110s I did the same and never came unstuck. Just make sure you insure the vehicle for what it is.

Hi, for what it is worth, here is my ten pence worth. I built a 127 using all the bits from a military 110. Other than the rear prop and a 17" piece of 109 back body in the middle it was all 110. The early 127's were cut 110 chassis' with a 17" section welded in(like mine).they were built by Special vehicle operations at Landrover. They had along the top and bottom of the chassis rails 3mm plate 75mm wide running nearly the full length of the vehicle. Heavy duty 110s also had this additional plate. On later models this was not added and chassis one piece. All 110 and 127 Brakes the same. 3500gvw springs were coils within coils on the back. As the factory registered the early 127's as 110s I did the same and never came unstuck. Just make sure you insure the vehicle for what it is.

Any difference in the axle between the two?

Hi, Front (Rover) and rear (Salisbury) are the same on 110 and 127/ 130 models in the 1986 to td5 era. The only axle and braking uprade avaliable was a Salisbury front axle which had the option of enormous vented discs and the calipers were supplied by AP. ( These were fitted to RUC amoured 110 Landrovers.) I fitted this axle to mine as I have a 4L 135bhp Perkins Phaser in my 110 Hi-cap.I do believe there is two versions of a coil sprung salisbury axle, one being heavier duty than the other but I can't confirm that for you.

Hi, Front (Rover) and rear (Salisbury) are the same on 110 and 127/ 130 models in the 1986 to td5 era. The only axle and braking uprade avaliable was a Salisbury front axle which had the option of enormous vented discs and the calipers were supplied by AP. ( These were fitted to RUC amoured 110 Landrovers.) I fitted this axle to mine as I have a 4L 135bhp Perkins Phaser in my 110 Hi-cap.I do believe there is two versions of a coil sprung salisbury axle, one being heavier duty than the other but I can't confirm that for you.

So to cut to the chase! All i need to do is add the helper springs(don't worry i'll replace all the others as well) to upgrade to 3500kg?