rfs or isa

Yogi

I am about to start practical training as a way into the industry doing CS30 and 31 and poss 38 and 39 and want to get a theory cert via distance learning before moving to New Zealand and getting work there eventually getting NVQ level 4 so I can get residency. Which of the following is better the RFS level 2 cert or the ISA cert VHT 090 please advise as I want to start as soon as poss. Thanks:001_cool:

They are both very good theory certs. The ISA seems to be more recognised internationally so maybe :confused1: the ISA would be better. I did the RFS cert. From my experience the RFS is more of a written base exam where as the ISA cert is a multiple questions exam plus an ident.

Either way yo cant go wrong.:001_smile:

As above I think the ISA will go down better internationally

Personal view is that RFS certification is far better to start with as you will need all the practical stuff to get full certification (exam alone is ABC level 2 cert arb backed by RFS)

ISA then becomes better again for the long term because you need to keep doing CEU credids to prove continual prof. development

:confused1:

i'm doing isa cert arb, really good, the work book is easy to get on with (lot of work though) but you do have to put the hours in on a regular basis.....well known qualification and it's good value aswell, the book is 65 quid then 130 quid for the exam when you think your ready, if you fail you get 1 free re sit

i'm doing isa cert arb, really good, the work book is easy to get on with (lot of work though) but you do have to put the hours in on a regular basis.....well known qualification and it's good value aswell, the book is 65 quid then 130 quid for the exam when you think your ready, if you fail you get 1 free re sit

Good luck and no disrespect but ........

For under £200 anyone can become Mr X ISA Certified Arborist.

To Joe Public this will look very proffsional (better than my spelling :sneaky2:) but in reallity provides no proof that you can actually complete any practical task with competance.

Think RFS have the practical aspect right, ISA the continual development right, neither got everything.

From an employers point of view I'd value the full RFS Cert Arb certificate rather than the ISA Cert Arb. I've done both, the RFS first and then the ISA two years after.

I worked like buggery to gain the RFS Cert, yet two years later I sat the ISA and passed with one evening’s revision.

Most people on my RFS course didn't bother getting the practical elements in order to gain the full certificate, this I feel is a big mistake. Get the two together and I feel you have an excellent qualification!

Better still.....Get both :thumbup1:

Good luck and no disrespect but ........

For under £200 anyone can become Mr X ISA Certified Arborist.

To Joe Public this will look very proffsional (better than my spelling :sneaky2:) but in reallity provides no proof that you can actually complete any practical task with competance.

Think RFS have the practical aspect right, ISA the continual development right, neither got everything.

Richard

I have already done all my NPTC 30,31,38,39,40,and 41 chipper, stump grinder, just doing this for my own benefit to gain more back ground info as i like learning and progression. The isa is good as i can do it in MY time at home as i cannot go back to collage (family,martgage etc).

The ISA top up aproach with the magazines is a good method. Something that the RFS lacks. But its down to the person to maintain and update their knowledge on relevant topics.

One thing I was gutted about with the RFS is the lack of free stickers.

With the ISA you get a load of fancy stickers to show off.

:001_cool: