Cant get it to stay on the hinge?

David Goss

First time i tried this cut today and it works a treat:thumbup1:

i also tried it a second time just for the hell of it and messed it right up:blushing:

i am glad this one (the important one, note house at bottom of banking) worked. The reason my second one didnt work was because it was a pole and it jumped right out the groove so i learned that with poles you need to be very careful at trusting this one. The one that worked was also a pole but luckily didnt jump as much as the second. I know this is common with bench felling but i have never used it and thought i would give it a go.... What you think, good method to keep a tree on the hinge or not?

DSCF1105.jpg.492165cdca8ebfaf86e5eba65a55d980.jpg

DSCF1104.jpg.d0fd483cf2dc867902b04f5513dba130.jpg

It looked like it worked well but, not for the one that would cause a problem ie a pole. If there is brash on then it wouldn't roll anyway but the cut worked, so I deduce that its pointless.:001_tongue:

Anyway good to see different ideas :thumbup1:but tbh if I thought there was a good chance of roll I would tie it up.

I wouldn't trust this too much! I've always timber hitched a rope above and below the cut (cut the rope into the stem as well!) like when snatching i guess. I realise that this must put great amounts of pressure on the rope if they bounce and should really get a chain but never had one snap :)

interesting cutting, not seen this before but application with practice in the right situation may prove to be proper good when minimal gear is available in awkward places or time constraints ect. thanks for the pic's.

Exactly what i thought:thumbup1:

the hardest bit i would say is doing the back cuts without cutting the fin (just made that name up, i dont know what you call it) the rest is just a normal gob and the slot and fin coming down from there.

A cutter told me about it the other day about when bench felling as a way to have the bench a bit higher, so i thought i would try it.