Firewood and profit?

Michael C

I saw in another thread that Gensetseve mentioned that £5000 worth of timber will give £1000 profit.

When you think about the time and work that goes into processing, delivering etc the margin seems tight. :001_unsure:

To put it another way you would have to buy in £50,000 worth of cord to give £10k profit

Food for thought!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw in another thread that Gensetseve mentioned that £5000 worth of timber will give £1000 profit.

When you think about the time and work that goes into processing, delivering etc the margin seems tight. :001_unsure:

To put it another way you would have to buy in £50,000 worth of cord to give £10k profit

Food for thought!

Thats a joke surely:lol:Can't understand this one? Surely it depends what you charge and how much timber you are getting for £5k.

Thanks Phil

Depends what you mean by profit.

If you've already paid yourself a decent wage and covered all other business costs, the 20% profit to stash in the bank isn't to be sniffed at.

I suspect there is some misunderstand of what definition is being used tbh though.

Ah, maybe thats what he meant then.

Definitly not to be sniffed at if thats the case. :thumbup1:

i buy in 26 ton cord.... which costs me 1300 quid.. 2 men process it in 2 days payin them £160 for both of them per day.. 15 gallon red diesel... from that load i get between 33 -40 of my loads which are just over 1.3 cubic metres... total income is £2960 [averaging 37 loads from 26 ton].. that leaves around £1300... or £35 a load... i take 3 loads out at a time and around 10 loads a day when weathers cold.... £105 for a round trip of say an hour will do me... it keeps my 2 blokes in work from now till march and gives me a good living for basically driving a transit all day...

I geekishly desgned a spread sheet which worked out your percentage profit margin dependant on your variables of cost of buying, fuel, mileage, processing time etc etc. We dont make much thats for sure!!!!

we dont... but i have nearly 250 1.3 m loads all split and ready to go that cost me very little [all my own wood from tree work].. so when you put your own wood in with what you bought it goes a lot further...

if i did 500 loads in a season... 250 that i've bought in aqnd 250 of my own it works out at £57 a load.....