quad mower/ flail?

Matthew Storrs

Not strictly arb but recently iv been turning quite a bit of work down as i don't have the ability to mow rough grass ie paddocks/ pasture land, does anybody have any recomendations for an outfit to do such work, not interested in tractor mounted ones as too big to warrant for most jobs, keener on a small manouverable one to do up to say an acres worth and rough ground

quad and tow behind flail is the current option but would be keen to hear other opinions.

Cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DR do a towable version of their Field and brush mower. We've found that Logic flails are horribly underpowered and the drive belts overheat and stretch really quickly. We put it into 6 inch grass and it snapped the belt within 300 yards. We have a walk behind DR mower and cannot fault it.

DR Power Equipment - Brush Hog / Brush Mower ? clear land / brush - mow saplings

logic flails are ok in rushes, brambles, thistles etc but rank wet grass doesnt do them any favours (it eats belts), my only critism of mine is that you struggle to go slow enough in really dense vegetation. but for tidying up paddock edges etc in a hurry they are great. handy being able to off set it as well.

thanks for that, they look just the jobbie, i suppose the towed one is quicker but the walk behind is far mor manouverable, any ideas of a price?

also how would you rate these compared to a flail machine, id be doing mostly rough grass but also id like to do bracken and rushes. could these ones do bracken?

These will happily chew through 5ft high Bracken, Tussocky grass and it loves rushes. The benefit over having a rotary over a flail is the rotary is less likely to clog. We have a BCS flail and it hates going through tussocky grass where our DR would hit the tuft and either cut it or rip it out. I have attached some pictures of the finish our DR leaves. It is the 13hp model. We paid £2,160 for ours but we also had a lawn deck with it. They are about £2,000-£3000.

007.jpg.74124c598c33ca75315f65269c721e6b.jpg

006.jpg.b2b5e4f48044bc96b8b9486aaf3c655d.jpg

004.jpg.70784b7c839d0b3b0a4a8ede29b276d7.jpg

003.jpg.20e703c953dc0f0a98cf1b3c29fdefd5.jpg

002.jpg.84acb43558980be566b8c4a40b74ba74.jpg

001.jpg.6448bfa64bdb151417a0aa8fe6194754.jpg

I have a Wessex tow-behind quad mower, and would say its brilliant on rough grassland etc. I cant say for rush etc as it hasnt been on that yet. Getting the tow speed right takes a little practise, you must give it time to cut and discharge, if you try to rush the job it will clog up and stretch the belts. I find between 4 and 6kph is ideal for serious rough grass, but once you've got the height down and are just maintaining you can go much faster.

The flails are good for more uneven ground, where a mower deck will ground out, and will leave a reasonable finish

hmm decisions decisions. too many choices! Yes i have looked at the quad x ones, impressive as far as i can tell. but the selling point for me is the fact i can stick the walk behinds in the back of the landy, but don't know whether i will be a bit limited on what size areas i can undertake, quad ones have a larger deck?

cheers for the help, certainly need to get one together before nxt season.:thumbup1: