should suppliers have a duty to inform?

Dilz

We have a work experience girl with us this week, she is on a course...the course....the only one in the whole country of sweden that deals with arboriculture. Like so many newbies she is keen and asks lots and lots of questions.....

also like a lot of newbies who get a loan....she rushed out and bought lots of kit....some of her choices are fine but there are couple of things i think she should have waited to buy.

But any way to get to the point.....'She purchased the Yale Blaze 11mm from a well known uk supplier, she requested a spliced eye in both ends (upon the advice of her instructor (:sneaky2:) said uk supplier sent this rope as requested..... now the Blaze i think is well noted for needing quite a bit of milking, and as a dual core rope it shouldn't have a splice in both ends as it means you cant do this... she climbed on the rope a few times and it is already playing up and she is planning on cutting an eye off.

Now i have told her she should contact said uk supplier and ask them 'why! did they not inform her that the blaze shouldnt be spliced at both ends?' and i personaly think she should get a refund for at least the splice.

So do you think that suppliers of arb equipment should be able to explain to customers when they make slightly foolish or misinformed choices regarding kit?

points well made.....she doens't appear to keen about not having two spliced eyes....appears they don't teach them that you should know and trust your knots before relying on such niceties as spliced eyes, i showed her the one rope does all system which she had never seen before....i tell you these swedes are all about the shiny things......

I would have to go along with ELG, she was poorly advised by her instructor not by the retailer.

If you consider the potential number of online orders received by retailers, do you honestly expect them to ring every customer before despatching their order to interrogate them to ensure that they are actually ordering the right product for its intended use?