Star Gazing

Taupotreeman

Okidoke. Any budding star gazers on here then? Just bought my second telescope after spending way too much time watching National Geographic and Discovery channels and a certain Prof Brian Cox. Hoping to get some good views of the planets but also keen to take some photos of the stars so if anyone has done any planetary and star photography, hints and help would be appreciated.

You'd love aberdeen taupo , pitch black skies and crystal clear winter nights.

I tend to look at the stars in relation to the seasons as our anscestors did ( there is literally hundreds of iron age stone circles up here ) .

Orion is popping up late on in the night sky which means only one thing , cold , wintery weather is on the way.

Sorry I can't help you on the photography front but be sure and post any photos, I would love to see them :thumbup1:

i love watching venus, but being pretty close it does move fast....so having a steady hand helps......

have not had chance to go to mum and dads lately but will get there and get the scope out again......

big bolt.....interested about jupiter what the position of it now...

Ian what scope you got?

Adam

i love watching venus, but being pretty close it does move fast....so having a steady hand helps......

have not had chance to go to mum and dads lately but will get there and get the scope out again......

big bolt.....interested about jupiter what the position of it now...

Ian what scope you got?

Adam

Just bought a basic Meade 114EQ-AR I think it was. I had something similar that the wife bought me a couple of years ago. It was even more basic and came with no instructions so I had no idea how to use it. That's not to say that I know how to use this one but at least the instructional DVD will give me a fighting chance. If I get enough enjoyment out of it I can always upgrade at a later date.

I'm also interested in jupiter, and Saturn more so, but I have to learn how to find them in the southern night sky. I've also seen some of these long exposure photos of a star filled sky which look awesome so I want to learn how to do both those photos and take photos through the scope. baby steps first though.

The sky at Tekapo is awesome, the mount John observatory is massively expensive, I went to a planeterium at wellington whilst in NZ learn lots, especially as the sky was upside down to what I was used to. Motueka the sky was good, first time I saw milky way it was very clear.

Just bought a basic Meade 114EQ-AR I think it was. I had something similar that the wife bought me a couple of years ago. It was even more basic and came with no instructions so I had no idea how to use it. That's not to say that I know how to use this one but at least the instructional DVD will give me a fighting chance. If I get enough enjoyment out of it I can always upgrade at a later date.

I'm also interested in jupiter, and Saturn more so, but I have to learn how to find them in the southern night sky. I've also seen some of these long exposure photos of a star filled sky which look awesome so I want to learn how to do both those photos and take photos through the scope. baby steps first though.

nice.....:thumbup:

yeah my dads is a pretty basic one but really easy to use, if you go on to the nasa web site it gives you a list of what planets are in the northern and southern hemisphere month by month......

also loads of other stuff to look out for.....:thumbup:

NASA - Home