AA Guide to the Use of MEWPs in Arboriculture

Amelanchier

• 1 month later...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sat here at my desk writing a best practice document to go with the risk assessment and method statements I’ve written for operations with our new MEWP.

I’ve read through the whole thread on the new AA Guide to the use of MEWPS in Arboriculture (an entertaining read!)

One think that keeps cropping up in the guide is the ‘working with two men in the basket with a mesh petition down the middle’ thing. I accept working with two men in the basket can be useful and aid productivity (as long as the SWL is not compromised) but the ‘Mesh Partition’ is news to me!

Myself and three of the lads recently underwent the NPTC training and assessment and at no point did ‘Mesh Partitions’ come into the equation. If NPTC thinks it’s safe to have two men in a basket without one, who are the AA to publish a ‘Safe Use’ manual and stipulate “It is not acceptable for chainsaws to be used in such close proximity without such a barrier” Have there been any accidents to substantiate this? Any Research?

I'm sat here at my desk writing a best practice document to go with the risk assessment and method statements I’ve written for operations with our new MEWP.

I’ve read through the whole thread on the new AA Guide to the use of MEWPS in Arboriculture (an entertaining read!)

One think that keeps cropping up in the guide is the ‘working with two men in the basket with a mesh petition down the middle’ thing. I accept working with two men in the basket can be useful and aid productivity (as long as the SWL is not compromised) but the ‘Mesh Partition’ is news to me!

Myself and three of the lads recently underwent the NPTC training and assessment and at no point did ‘Mesh Partitions’ come into the equation. If NPTC thinks it’s safe to have two men in a basket without one, who are the AA to publish a ‘Safe Use’ manual and stipulate “It is not acceptable for chainsaws to be used in such close proximity without such a barrier” Have there been any accidents to substantiate this? Any Research?

We had a similar issue with the "Blue Machine" on Powerline clearence, it was only addressed at the time by the platforms we were looking at buying having 2 individual buckets, 1 on either side of the boom and very stringent controls and additional PPE for the Operative without the saw. Dont think it did ever really get sorted out.

Surely it’s not up to NPTC or AA to say what is safe. That would be the remit of the HSE wouldn’t it?

I distinctly remember the HSE saying they were against 2 men in a basket with or without a barrier perhaps that has changed. The minimum safe working distance is 5m (CS31). That would be a big mewp basket.

I can't imagine the restrictiveness of having a partition down the middle of the basket, you would have to pass the saw to one another. When I'm in my mewp, I use the full basket from all sides, having a partition would just kill the job and would take too much time.

Why not just wear ballistic jackets etc

Surely it’s not up to NPTC or AA to say what is safe. That would be the remit of the HSE wouldn’t it?

I distinctly remember the HSE saying they were against 2 men in a basket with or without a barrier perhaps that has changed. The minimum safe working distance is 5m (CS31). That would be a big mewp basket.

That distance you quoted is for tree opperations on the ground I think, not for MEWPS. I need to see something in black and white from the HSE. If it is the case then MEWP suppliers shouldn't be selling/fitting baskets without the mesh barrier fitted for tree work. :mad1:

Got a flyer for the guide yesterday, It says:

"In selecting appropriate work equipment it is a requirement that collective measures to prevent falls (such as mewps ) must be considered beforeother measures which may only mitigate the distance and consequences of a fall ( such as fall protection systems )or which may only provide personal protection from a fall.

So basicaly if you can use a MEWP then you should use a MEWP:scared:

Its worse....

if you aim to be AA approved you need your mewp tickets , wether you use a mewp or not.

why? you ask.

I'll tell you.

Work at height risk assessments require that you consider the use or not of a mewp. If you have no tickets then you cannot be expected to consider the use of a mewp because you rule out its use by having no training. Thus you are not fully following HSE guidelines relating to work at height. Which means you do not meet AA approved contractor status.

• 2 weeks later...

the 2 issues with the pic on the front of the guid are one to illistrate that there are safe systems by which on person may be within the 5m recomendation laid down by afag when using a chain saw, and two the mewp in use is significatly capable of going higer than 26m wich is a cut off point for many certifications ergo the cutter pictured holds mewp tickets but not for the size of machine in use

cheers

kev