bungee straps, I'm getting rid of mine

daveindales

For years Iv'e used bungee straps for tying ladders on and strapping things down. Anyway this morning I was tying down something on the pickup and must have pulled too hard on the bungee. It shot off the other side of the pickup and hit me on the bridge of nose. A trip to docs was called for. Hence I'm writing this at home with a bad head and a deep gash on a very bloody nose. Iv'e had a near do or two before, so now I'm going back to using rope. Very lucky it hit my nose and not an eye. be careful out there.

Further to my original post. A few years ago me and my mate parked up next to the clients porsche. anyway we were just about to get the ladders of the pickup and the lady was talking to me. she had just said watch the porsche and went inside. as soon as the door shut, my mate accidently let go of the bungee and it shot off the ladders and clattered into the car. Thank god she didn't hear the bang or the swearing directed at my mate. The only harm done was a little dint that we kept quite about. Have had a few laugh's about that since. I still keep working for her, so she can't of noticed. I wish I'd thrown the bloody things away after that episode.

We used to use bunjees on the work defender to hold timber down but after two items flew off the roof we swapped to some pull through straps. They have buckles with a pimpled pressure point with a very strong spring pushing on the pressure point. They have a braking strain of 600kg but safe holding strength of 375kg. So more than strong anough to hold 8 half round rails on one side and eight 3" x 3" posts on the other.

Friend told me the other day there that his colleague nearly lost his eye as a result of a bungee strap. He has unfortunately lost his sight in the eye.

I'm getting rid of mine aswell.

Had one of mine hit me in the eye when one end let go. Fortunately I didn't lose my sight but I had a shadow in my vision for a while before it settled. Still occasionally feels gritty now.