New AA event - your views please.

Amelanchier

Which two days would you prefer to attend the new event?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which two days would you prefer to attend the new event?

• Fri 6 and Sat 7 July 2012
    • Sat 7 and Sun 8 July 2012

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Nothern AGM too where it was discussed, still sounds like a great idea. If you want to get plenty of climbing arbs etc I think you need a fairly equal mix of hands-on stuff that climbers know they're interested in (climbing and rigging latest techniques etc), and more 'academic' stuff (such as fungi and ecology, legal issues, veteran hazard management etc). The idea of seminars on business and advertising etc is also good, but I think the people involved must have a god grasp of the arb industry - I studied a business module at Myerscough and it bore no relevance whatsoever to arboriculture and has hardly helped me at all.

I think there needs to be an equal balance of these different types of workshop/seminar and probably just running one at a time (not clashing) - otherwise all the climbers will just got to the climbing demos and bar (like at the Arb Show), rather than learning new stuff (which seems to be the aim of the do).

As I'm self-employed Friday/Saturday works fine for me, especially if the cost's kept low.

Like above I think you need to avoid overlapping any practical demonstrations with seminars.

If it is going to be held where I think then there is also a great opportunity for people to get up to date on some of their ground based work, something that is often overlooked. Some LANTRA instructor felling demo's, etc might just open a few peoples eyes as far as CPD on that side is concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback,

tHe poll is indicating that saturday sunday is prefered, if you do not wish to contribute to the thread could as many as possible mark the poll so as the AA can get a better and broader picture of prefered days,

Saturday sunday, No loss of a days holiday if bosses wont pay for cpd, Lose day with family, return to work the monday tired and worn out, or enthused depending how much you drink,

Friday sunday,

Lose days holiday or if your lucky boss pays your wages for the day,

day to get over the hangover (sunday)

breaks the week up,

These are just a few of my thoughts on the day selection, but I do feel that its important to get it right and ensure that as many people attend to get full benefit from such an event.

Thoughts please lords and ladies

Potential venue: Visiting Newport - Tredegar House

Caravan Club site on the premises.

No shortage of trees with some work required...! Quite a fine selection of fungi, too. Bats present.

On the M4 (Jcn 28): Swansea 1 hour. Exeter 2 hrs. London 2.5hrs, Manchester/Leeds 3.5 hrs.

You won't need your winter fleece, but you might want to bring a raincoat. Will shortly (next Mar) be transferred to The National Trust. Buy still perhaps a future possibility? Dead handy for me!

• 2 weeks later...
Potential venue: Visiting Newport - Tredegar House

Caravan Club site on the premises.

No shortage of trees with some work required...! Quite a fine selection of fungi, too. Bats present.

On the M4 (Jcn 28): Swansea 1 hour. Exeter 2 hrs. London 2.5hrs, Manchester/Leeds 3.5 hrs.

You won't need your winter fleece, but you might want to bring a raincoat. Will shortly (next Mar) be transferred to The National Trust. Buy still perhaps a future possibility? Dead handy for me!

sounds good to me! I would go! only cos bats and fungi was mentioned! if we can get David, and andrew also i might even get a round in!:lol:

• 2 months later...

I think providing you cover a variety of subjects with up to date and relevant info it will appeal to the majority.

The location and presenters may the determining factor and like has been previously said maybe a pig roost and possibly and group/band for the social.