Newby climber.

ladyarb

hi all, im a newby. Just passed cs30,31,38,39 and 41 after leaving a 13 year army career behind. Cant decide whether to become a free lance climber, work for a firm or start my own business. Any advice would be much appreciated and id love to hear from any other females in the industry to find out how they are getting along.

I really like the climbing side of work, is this sumat i could go straight into (free lance) or would you lot recommend that i start in a firm as a groundy first to gain experience. ???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly welcome to this weird world :blink:

suggest that you go work for at least two firms as a groundie prove yourself learn different styles.

As far a my advice goes earn the respect of your seniors.

Its was hard for me in the out set being the older newbie on a firm being tought by lads that see you as an upstart but i have earnt respect learnt some of the skils and touch wood :scared1: working out to be a good surgeon.

Try and work part time or freelance. This will give you the opportunity of learning the trade.

It will also allow time to find a climber/groundie that you 'could' work with.

Then go it alone.

Don't know what you did in the army. But if you don't mind working in all weathers.....you'll love this.

being able to climb is one thing but being up to speed is another. Get as much experience as you can before going it alone. Work either for a company or freelance but if you can work with as many good climbers as you can. You will soon see how they work and the results they achieve. It is not all about running around the tree at breakneck speed it is about effiiciency and planning the job/route. Even if you work with not so good climbers you will still learn everyday even if it is just '..not how to do it!'. Whatever you do, good luck I am sure you will love it.

:001_cool:

hi all, im a newby. Just passed cs30,31,38,39 and 41 after leaving a 13 year army career behind. Cant decide whether to become a free lance climber, work for a firm or start my own business. Any advice would be much appreciated and id love to hear from any other females in the industry to find out how they are getting along.

I really like the climbing side of work, is this sumat i could go straight into (free lance) or would you lot recommend that i start in a firm as a groundy first to gain experience. ???

Good look with that. I'm afraid your in for a hard time. This is still a very sexist industry, and very few firms will even consider a lady groundy / dogsbody, nevr mind a female climber.

I know of 1 very skilled female climber who wrote to all the firms in Surrey, and never got a reply.

If you set up your own business, you could play on your Gender - I think many women would prefer to hire a female tree surgeon.

However, you should at least have some sort of arb qualification before starting down that road.

Getting your CS certs is the very begining. If your REALLY skilled, you will be a good freelance in about 3 years - but you will only have skill on your side, not experience. How easy did you find doing your NPTC's? if you breezed through it with ease, then you might stand a chance as a climber in the real world.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you need to know what your up against.

Its a difficult industry, to many people, not enough jobs, poor pay, that sort of thing.:sad:

If you were looking to relocate I would give you a job, as I have always had a lot of respect and great experience with ex forces types. They tend to have good self discipline and an excellent work ethic.

If you want, I can PM you some contacts.

I had been climbing for a company for 4 years, and am now just starting out into the world of freelance climbing (registered as self-employed today, whoop whoop)

If you work for a company to begin with it is regular pay, and you will soon learn of the standard of other work going on in the area, and possibily who to work or not work for in the future. Best of luck

Good look with that. I'm afraid your in for a hard time. This is still a very sexist industry, and very few firms will even consider a lady groundy / dogsbody, nevr mind a female climber.

I disagree quite strongly!

I finshed my level 2 course last year and have the same CS quals as you and yet have found everyone I've come into to contact with in the industry to be totally encouraging and very helpful. Plus, I've got every job I've applied for, even turned jobs down.

I think if you guys out there go on believing it's a sexist profession then that just perpetuates it- ya know, the old "say something often enough and eventually everyone believes it".

Don't listen, Lady, If you're skilled and you wanna do a days work, then most companies will be happy to snap you up.

As for which direction to go in... def get some experience first as the CS's don't teach you how to be an arb, just the basic skills for the job.

Here endeth todays lesson...!

Good luck and welcome:laola:

Hey, I'm not perpetuating Myths. I've worked with some great Female tree workers, particularly in europe- and will put my word on the line by offering the lady a job.

But I've also spoken to some female climbers who've had great difficulties.

! female climber I know of, very experienced, all tickets + Tech Cert ARb - and the guys at the company she works for treat her like ****, make her make the tea, wont let her drive the trucks, wont let her climb, give her loads of sexist abuse etc etc.

Personally I think she should bring a harrasement lawsuit against them, but she has struggled to get any job in treework...