Cant believe im asking this...

tree_boy

I got into tree surgery from a rock climbing background so trusting the gear was the easy bit. Trusting the trees was a different story but the more i did the more confidence i gained. BUT (and thats a big but) Never get to confident, always have that thought in the back of your mind of what could go wrong and be prepared for it. In 20 odd years i have come out of 2 trees just from fear (may have just been a bad day or lost confidence because of being completely knackered) but slept on it and the next day got straight back up and got on with it. Fear is healthy, you just need to control it.

Keep at it and you will be fine:thumbup1:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do some adrenaline sports, try power kiting, absailing and/or sky diving!

get a buzz for it...

watch this - if your sick in your stomach and cant watch, think about another career - but if you can watch and get a tingle in your fingers and toes, go for it:thumbup:

Crazy guy walks on the top of a very high carcass (MUST SEE!!!) - YouTube

Are you suffering from white finger????????????:confused1:

i was in a similar position but not as severe, i didnt like climbing onto my own feet on my first days of the climbing course, i always liked having my weight in the harness and it would take me ages to climb anything, now freeclimbing is fun and makes the job a lot easier sometimes.

i found it was trust in kit, but go up to a nice long branch on a tree and go out a little bit, then jump off and swing back in, do that till you feel good about it then keep increasing the distance you do the swing up to a safe level where you arent taking tarzan wings across a tree, but doing nice controllable swings where you wont hit anything that could hurt.

pushing your comfort zone is what its all about!

free climbing is somthing i wouldnt recommend ,a to seasend climber let alone somone thinking of coming into the job :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Hello. Im really keen to get into tree surgery and arboriculture but, alot of you will probably laugh at this and think what an idiot, but I have trouble with climbing. I had a go with a mate that is qualified and it seems every time I get to two or three times my height I get nervous and a bit apprehensive. Its not that im scared of heights because ive always been able to stand on balconys and go on chair lifts stuff like that no problem. I think its got something to do with trusting the equipment. Did anyone else have this sort of problem? Is it normal? :blushing: I really dont want to give up because of this Im hoping I can get over it. I must be able to? Any help id really appreciate. Cheers.

I had real trouble trusting the gear and coping with the exposure of bare stems when I first started but I persisted and worked on bigger trees gradualy. I now have total confidence and have won the north west climbing competition twice. Stick with it bud. Start low.

Treestyle Arboriculture: Professional Tree Surgeons, Manchester

free climbing is somthing i wouldnt recommend ,a to seasend climber let alone somone thinking of coming into the job :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I don't recommend it for anything other than little garden trees. I mean having a climb while your climbing system is loose. Not technically free climbing but is a good way of getting a feel for balance.

I don't recommend it for anything other than little garden trees. I mean having a climb while your climbing system is loose. Not technically free climbing but is a good way of getting a feel for balance.

Your digging a bigger hole Rob shhh:001_rolleyes:

Did you know most tree surgery falls/accidents are while doing small trees?

Never tell anyone its ok to freeclimb anything at work, If its on your own time after work or weekends then do whatever you want but while at work stay tied in:sneaky2:

Actually rob brings up a good point in a roundabout unintentional way. If anyones ever clambered around up a 10ft apple tree they'll no doubt know that feeling of confidence they have....no harness, rope etc, just nipping up to cut a couple pieces with a pruning saw. Well im not suggesting thats good practise but the point is the frame of mind you're in when doing such tasks. If you can get yourself into that exact same frame of mind when you're 70ft up(with rope and harness on obviously) then you're onto a winner :thumbup1: