B + E licence worth £450?

YoGi_93

The issue with a b+e licence is that you're still limited to a maximum of 4.5t gross vehicle weight.

Go for the biggest licence you can as you can always get extra work driving if you ever needed to.... The Digi card/cpc/and medical once you hit 45 don't add up to that much when you consider the investments made for tools and equiptment to work in this industry.

Alex

Errr cat B is vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM

Total vehicle weight for a post 01/01/97 licence including the trailer is 4.5t.

So if vehicle weights (On a vosa/police) weigh bridge 3.5t you can only tow

1t, if it's over that you'll proberbly get shafted. if the vehicle weighs 2.5t you can tow upto 2t depending on the towing vehicles specs.

Does that make a bit more sense? I understand it the if you've a pre 97 licence then it goes on the tow weights for the vehicle.

No it isnt. Total MAM for a B licence is 4250 kg, ie 3500 vehicle and 750 kg trailer, or smaller towing vehicle and larger trailer so long as the combined MAM does not exceed 4250kg.

The plated weights of the vehicle and trailer still apply regardless of what licence you hold.

Truck Driver Training, PSV training, hgv training, lgv training

I have to admit it made no real sense to me either, but I found myself in a lengthy discussion on this subject with the company mentioned above as I was considering taking a B+E test and it was highlighted that unless I was using it for a car + caravan affair it's pretty redundant as to tow over 4.5t you need c1+e.

Apologies for the confusion, that's what you get for trusting a someone.

From the DVLA.

"Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM

Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E."

Apologies

• 4 weeks later...

I was taught during my B+E that it allows you to drive a 3.5T MAM TOWING VEHICLE with whatever trailer is allowable with that vehicle, i.e. it could be a 3.5T transit with a 2.7T trailer.

Always seems to be some confusion and it would be good if the information available was clearer.

I am saying only what I have been taught, not stating this as fact.

If you need to use a vehicle with GVW over 3.5T then you will need more than B+E. I have a transit and a 2.7T trailer and B+E covers me. I paid around £300 for it incl. the test fee about 1.5 years ago though so if you shop around you may pay less. I don't see myself ever needing an upgrade on this licence but I don't take down big trees!

Edited by Dan Frazer Gardening