OCT I am too expensive DEC I have run out

gensetsteve

About this time of year we get a load of posts about how the bloke down the road is too cheap. Then December the posts go anyone know where there is some cord. So I thought I would create a fire wood sellers bible. Any I have forgotten please add.

This year there will be more unemployed than ever but remember you can only cut and store 10 loads before you loose interest.

Even if the winter is mild, the demand has gone up 6 fold from last year so there will probably be a shortage again.

People shop around for the cheapest deal this time of year best to go on holiday and come back end of November.

While the price of fossile fuels stays high you dont need to give your logs away.

Why sell for £60 a cube and sell out at christmas when you can sell for £90 + and sell out in march. You have seasoned it for 12 months whats another 3.

All dry wood burns well . Wet unseasoned wood gives you a bad rep and stops those repeat September sales which boost your bank acct.

Humans generally dont buy wood unless the temperature drops below 5 deg.

Alot of people dont value your effort sell them some cord and a hand axe you will have a customer for split logs for life.

Depends alot on what they are using it for. If it's necessary to run their ch or heat their water and they don't have other options, then you can play the waiting game. If they are buying it for atmosphere or as supplementary heat then with the harder times biting, folk will stop buying or burn less. The customer is also more educated now - even with rising fuel costs £100 per cube is more expensive than burning mains gas, without the hassle.

All we need is a bit of wind in November and a milder winter than last year, and there will be some folk put out of business.

Don't rely on it all getting busy in December.

Agree with the first post entirely.

My prices have gone up, each year my production goes up 25-30%.

Mild winter or not it still gets cold (and I'm almost as far south as you can get).

I don't know anyone near me who had genuine dry logs to sell in March.

I've always sold out just after Christmas. I want to get to Feb this season.

Customers are better educated? Slightly maybe but on the whole I'd say not or they would plan ahead and season their own wood.

December will always be a busy month for log sales as people like to get organised for Christmas.

You've got to be brave to turn sales away on the basis that you *think* you can shift the same stuff later in the season for more money. Surely the answer is to increase capacity, and plan longer term rather than gamble with the stock you have.

I would rather hang onto my stock till next winter than give it away. If Margins are tight,:001_smile: and at less than £80 a cube they got to be non excistent if you buy cord in. I would rather do less if profit is tight there are plenty of other things to do without competeing with people who cant add up.

Quality post !It was really slow to begin with but the last week its gone mad we are charging 90 on a single m3 and 85 for two or more but i cut all my own timber and transport with tractor and trailer . Its got to the point where i am going to have to start buying it in then i will put prices up another 10£ it going to be very painful buying cord at 50 £ t when i have been paying 10£ t standing i cant see people paying any more than 95£ a cube allthough i would like to charge 120 a cube.:lol:

Quality post !It was really slow to begin with but the last week its gone mad we are charging 90 on a single m3 and 85 for two or more but i cut all my own timber and transport with tractor and trailer . Its got to the point where i am going to have to start buying it in then i will put prices up another 10£ it going to be very painful buying cord at 50 £ t when i have been paying 10£ t standing i cant see people paying any more than 95£ a cube allthough i would like to charge 120 a cube.:lol:

We are £180 for 2 cu metres or £95 for 1. I can see its going to be painfull breaking the £200 barrier. I told a couple of my customers last year I may pack up the processing as my processor is getting knackered and price of cord has gone through the roof. The response from all was shrug shoulders and people will need to get their logs from somewhere and you will need to charge enough to make a profit can we order now.