Do you need CS41 to carry out dismantling?

Al Duffill

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the bit that matters

‘All workers who use a chainsaw should be competent to do so. Before using a chainsaw to carry out work on or in a tree, a worker should have received appropriate training and obtained a relevant certificate of competence or national competence award, unless they are undergoing such training and are adequately supervised. However, in the agricultural sector, this requirement only applies to first-time users of a chainsaw.’

This means everyone working with chainsaws on or in trees should hold such a certificate or award unless:

it is being done as part of agricultural operations (eg hedging, clearing fallen branches, pruning trees to maintain clearance for machines); and

the work is being done by the occupier or their employees; and

they have used a chainsaw before 5 December 1998.

Same sort of thing in that as well

Chainsaws and aerial tree work

26 For professional chainsaw operators working in forestry and arboriculture, AFAG recommends that the minimum level of adequacy of training for chainsaw operations – including aerial tree work, pruning and dismantling – be confirmed by an independent assessment, leading to a recognised certificate of competence in the relevant activities. This is also a common requirement in contracts of service.

Hi, should you have CS41 before you carry out any rigging or dismantling, I've not got this ticket but do perform these operations often, based on my own knowledge and that handed down to me?

Apologies for my 'lateness' to the party here.

HSE would say 'yes' you do need CS41 if your undertaking dismantling operations with rigging. However, this would not necessarily be the case for instance with CS40, CS45 (ground worker) or CS46 (pole chainsaw use) dependent on other qualifications / NPTCs held.

They recognise that many NPTC CS units have been developed for specific markets and hence take a pragmatic view that it is only those deemed necessary under PUWER, for chainsaw and related works, and those operations that are 'high risk', i.e dismantling, where CoC should be held.

Hope this clarifies things...a little.

Cheers..

Paul

PS This view is also supported by the 'ArbAC' scheme and CS41 is required by the person in the tree installing and connecting the rigging system (not the person on the ground who can be deemed 'competent' by their developed skills and expereince.)