Hello and your thoughts please.

MATTMOSS

You need to keep the certificate for ever (we a fair while anyway)

The insurance covers your professional opinion at the time of writing the report, so if the tree falls over later, it was your opinion at the time that the report was written that was wrong, so you were insured when you were at fault.

That is the opposite of what my insurers told me too. It was about 10years ago but wouldn't have thought the general rules had changed. I was told you are only covered if you are in a policy. That's why I gave up on the idea cos I couldn't be bothered with a lifetime of insurance.

I hope you are right cos it means I may as well do reports if ever asked.

Edited by T14EES T14UNK

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the opposite of what my insurers told me too. It was about 10years ago but wouldn't have thought the general rules had changed. I was told you are only covered if you are in a policy. That's why I gave up on the idea cos I couldn't be bothered with a lifetime of insurance.

I hope you are right cos it means I may as well do reports if ever asked.

:sneaky2:They would say that wouldn't they :sneaky2:

Thats not true.

Hi I have just dig up this information that was given to me on my recent Tech cert course:

Professional Indemnity

Covers against claims made by members of the public and clients arising as a result

of advice given (E.g., tree inspection reports). Professional indemnity insurance up to

at least five million pounds is usually required for arboricultural consultants and the

insurance cover needs to be maintained for a period after you have ceased to be in

business to safeguard against claims as a result of advice you have given before you

ceased to be in business.

This is from the abc syllabus.

matt

you see now...I think thats just insurers being greedy myself !

If the ins docs state this as a "condition" of the contract, there's not much you can do. My opinion...go ahead and write a report. Regardless frankly.Keep a copy. Include sensible caveats as to the nature and scope of the report and anything else you think pertinent !

Edited by Bundle 2

Just as a point of discussion....I see it a bit like this !

If an action is brought against you ( by the public, or the client ) and this action relies on the report for its grievance...it must be confined to that report and so, the time it was conceived....therefore; the requirement to hold insurance at any other time is not relevant to the report in question or the action by virtue of the fact that it (the action) relies on said report.....

I understand that the advice given in ABC text documents takes a different view.

I'm agreeing with Skyhuck on this, as its what my insurer put down in writing for me, that the report/survey is covered regardless of whether you maintain the policy in the future, but you will need to keep the proof of insurance (certificate) for future reference. A correctly written report will state that the report is accurate at the time of writing, and that the trees will need monitoring annually in the future. It should also include that if the work is not carried out to your specifications, or if you are over-ruled, you cannot be deemed responsible for that.