Best way to clean your smelly helmet

ptrinder

serious reply

you can get a replacement foam liner for in the helmet from most suppliers for a couple of quid

I have soaked mine in warm water to soften it then I just rub fairy liquid straight on and rub it into the straps and swill in warm water.

But realistically for under £50 you can just have another:thumbup:

P.s can we have a video clip of you washing your smelly helmet and also does it smell like the seaside:001_rolleyes:

About 3 years ago one of my guys came in with what looked like a brand new helmet, we use petzl with Husk attachments.

He'd put it through the dishwasher on a lowish heat. I do it regularly now as I used to dismantle it and use an old toothbrush with warm soapy water.

Don't worry about the foam in the ears, you can usually sqeeze most of it out, just make sure you do up the chin strap so it doesn't catch the whirly water sprayer. BTW, we use the Finish powerball tablets.

Oh and no I don't put it in with the dishes.

Just strip off and sit in bath or shower with it on.Work the shampoo into a good lather and scrub.A good friend of mine had a bad smelling pot, so so i rimmed it with chain oil he used to cry when he worked up a sweat (it stung his eyes )as it run down his face,he moaned about spots alot aswell.

'He'd put it through the dishwasher on a lowish heat.'....me too mate, with the addition of a bit of a scrub with vim before it goes in. Not to sure what Petzl would have to say about this tho!. If your client really wants you, they won't care how dirty your helmet is!:blushing:

'but im going to try the new dishwasher when the other half is out !!'...good skills mate, don't let 'Er indoors catch you doing it!. I remember mine catching me with 35m or New England on spin in the new washing machine...my ears were bleeding!

IMO its poor form ever letting your helmet get that smelly in the first place. Like anything else its best to prevent rather than cure, so wash daily with warm soapy water. You never know when someone might take an interest in your helmet and perhaps want to borrow it, or even just want to try it for size for 2 or 3 minutes. That could be embarrassing if it really hummed :thumbdown: be prepared