arb co working alongside firewood guy

Dean O

dont know where to post this - firewood or business management section?

so thought id stick it in here to get some varied replies

does anyone work alongside a firewood merchant and have any arrangement/ deals with arrisings etc?

how does it work?

any bad experiences?

we've been approached by a local guy intending to expand his business next season.

He's looking for a source of wood from a list of customers he has who want trees removed.

I.e a list of leads in return for the wood from the job if we get it.

Its got me thinking as we have tons of wood lying in cord lengths ready for us to get a processor in.

dipped our toe in the water this autumn selling logs and already sold out (only approx 30 cube) so i would say that its got to be worth our while.

Thanks Tim - still got you in mind for that project we spoke about too.

think the best approach for me may be to stack store then sell in bulk. that way i can keep myself a little pile to keep our log burner going too

alternativey would be lovely to swap timber for use of his yard for storing vehicles etc

Thanks Tim - still got you in mind for that project we spoke about too.

think the best approach for me may be to stack store then sell in bulk. that way i can keep myself a little pile to keep our log burner going too

alternativey would be lovely to swap timber for use of his yard for storing vehicles etc

Build a stock up then invite firewood merchants to make you an offer for the lot.

I have a guy take all my wood of big jobs, comes in with a forwarder and away it goes! No ringing up saw dust and time hand balling in return he gets me more work, I sell probably 30 tons of ash and beech a year myself from some woodland work I do but I have no interest in getting in to fire wood, paying rent on yard and buying expensive equipment so I find it symbiotic... I would take his offer up of a rent free work shop but mine is a perfect base for me 5 mins from my house , as 90% of my work is Arb... His would be 15 !!

not sure what his set up is yet but he's based on my doorstep.

will be meeting him this week to see if we can sort something out.

Dont like the idea of having someone following us around to collect the logs we leave behind on every job but for the big stuff that would be nice sometimes.