Do you use your local pub?

farmer_ben

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest problem is the price of booze in the supermarket compared to the pub. On average a pint of larger in a pub £2.50+ when a slab from supermarket cost about £10 thats without the special offers they have on. Lots more drink at home now instead of the pub.

Biggest problem is the price of booze in the supermarket compared to the pub. On average a pint of larger in a pub £2.50+ when a slab from supermarket cost about £10 thats without the special offers they have on. Lots more drink at home now instead of the pub.

You cant beat the pub atmosphere, banter with the locals and staff. You dont get that buying a crate of beer and drinking it at home :) I pay £3 a pint at my local

David, your not far from me (stansfield) check out the compasses, and the queens at hawkedon if your ever this way

Thanks for the tips :thumbup1:

maybe the ones that are shut are the lapdance club and your not out late enough:001_tt2:

lap dancing in Newmarket, surely not :sneaky2:

:biggrin:

I think there's more hope now that the Pubco business model is failing. We had a pub in the centre of the village/small town - one of four pubs in the village - that was stood empty for four years.

It was bought by an enthusiastic couple who put on fine beers, great food and it is thriving. Pubs need enthusiastic owner managers who have the freedom to buy beer on the open market and sell at a price that gives them a profit.

There is a demand for pubs even with the availability of cheap supermarket booze.

Ironically I think the reopened pub proved to be the last straw for the local off licence, which closes for good tonight!

You cant beat the pub atmosphere, banter with the locals and staff. You dont get that buying a crate of beer and drinking it at home :) I pay £3 a pint at my local

same here, i'd rather pay £3.00, have a chat with some friends about the day, few games of arrows, little look at the bar maid, all whilst walking straight in from work in work clothes and dog in tow....i cant do ANY of that at home ;)

my hometown deal which is quite small and used to have over 300 pubs in every nook and crany but is now down to just 30ish.

my local which i like to frequent most days is run by deal's oldest serving landlady since 1978 and she is a comical take no ****,loves the craic wit the boys irish lady who often asks myself or one of her other trusted stand in barman " could you take over the bar for a few moments, whilst i pop up stairs for a bath " i.e a nap as she also has quite a healthy white wine appetite, bless her.

top lady and yes i do miss alot of the other quality pubs but sadly the good ones are definately a dying breed.

I didnt say I agreed with it but the supermarkets have a huge part to play in the demise of the pub. Loads of pubs have shut in my area, lots of people now drink in the house before going out. The pubs then have to make up that loss some how.

I totally agree with you about the pub atmosphere as well.