big dry elm drop

dadio

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tCwEFuNzY]big dry elm drop.mov - YouTube[/ame]

4 minute vid showing the removal of a large dry elm.. dutch elm disease got it.. pulled it against the lean into the woods to save the lawn from damage.. Pretty straightforward job...

I love that saw........ my first real husky.... bought it in nearly new condition fro $900, from the log loader, a few weeks ago, just before Irene hit... It'll cut big wood three times as fast as my best 66...... I haven't run a 36" bar in 10-15 years...

Chain was fresh right out of the box for that gob... I bumped the speed to 104% on most of the cutting, to save a few seconds, which may have thrown the sound off a litte..

Nice work , 3120 sounded like the chain had hit a few nails putting in the gob? Always had you down as a Stihl man.

Isnt that just the rev limiter cutting in?

You have quite a few cameras on you there.

I would be careful they add 10 pounds I hear.:001_tongue:

Obviusoly the fell went well but have you ever tried using a bottle jack on back learners? They work well and are way better than using wedges, plus they are easier on the back.:thumbup:

Isnt that just the rev limiter cutting in?

You have quite a few cameras on you there.

I would be careful they add 10 pounds I hear.:001_tongue:

Obviusoly the fell went well but have you ever tried using a bottle jack on back learners? They work well and are way better than using wedges, plus they are easier on the back.:thumbup:

As dadio says it's been speeded up a bit so I imagine that's why it's screaming!! If a 3120 really sounded like that I would buy one today and bin the 395.

NICE... You win the prize.. at least we know someone is paying attention..

More on that later...

Cutting the hinge is easily done like that with a larger saw.

Usually its when the felling cut is only between 1 + 1.5 x bar length. 2 x bar seem to be easier to avoid sticking the tip through when running around the back.

In this situation following the plunge, I would have probably brought the tip further towards the back of the felling cut before going around the back, hence then you can hold the saw further out when going around the back.

Sure no one needs to teach you how to suck eggs, but its a common and easy mistake usually due to impatience. Spending a little more time dressing the hinge and preparing the next stage of the back cut usually pays off.