Price of firewood

shendy

Not really free though, its actually 'costing' you whatever you could sell it in cord form for.

The only bulk market for firewood round my way is in Lockerbie - AW Jenkinson - the last time I spoke to them - summer - they were offering £24/tonne delivered in. Haulage will be about £12/tonne and access for an artic is a big issue.

Cheers

mac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 tonne of wood @ £50 will fill 2 x 1 cubic metre bags of split logs which at your quoted rate of £80 per cube will offer a decent return - obviously depending on time taken and delivery distance.

I don't see any way people can pay £100-120 a cube for woodfuel for heating,we burn 25 cubes a year to heat a mid size house so anyone buying in woodfuel as a primary heat source at £100 per cube is wasting money I would have thought.

We certainly do not pay £50 per tonne - it is free to us

cheers

mac

If you can get the wood free you could process and make yourself good money.

I would say the hardwood price is varying between 65.00 to 75.00 per cube in Norfolk split with mileage on top. Some of us though don't buy our wood in, just standing so our overheads are going to be lower and can charge a lower price. We had disagreements about this on here a few months ago!

I have noticed a lot of the smaller 'old boys' doing wood aren't out there this year, maybe been priced out? and the paper has very few firewood advents. Still have not sold one load of softwood!!

I would say the hardwood price is varying between 65.00 to 75.00 per cube in Norfolk split with mileage on top. Some of us though don't buy our wood in, just standing so our overheads are going to be lower and can charge a lower price. We had disagreements about this on here a few months ago!

I have noticed a lot of the smaller 'old boys' doing wood aren't out there this year, maybe been priced out? and the paper has very few firewood advents. Still have not sold one load of softwood!!

Im just trying to figure out what i should be charging a load, so far i have'nt paid for any wood but if i want to sell more firewood i think im going o have to star4t buying some in. I dont wnat to buy hundreds of tonnes in just a few tonne to start with and see how it goes.

I think you are right about the old boys. Unless you harvest and process your own wood or get it free from arb work you will be priced out in the future. The material cost has doubled in 5 years the retail price has not.

I think you are right about the old boys. Unless you harvest and process your own wood or get it free from arb work you will be priced out in the future. The material cost has doubled in 5 years the retail price has not.

The retail price is something we all need to remember. We now live in very strange times prices can go up but it doesn't mean people will pay it. From my experience the firewood customer wants a good sized load, dry but at a cheap price. I'm still getting people hang up at my cheaper prices!

I feel the way forward for me is to just knock out more loads without increasing the price too much. It will keep the consultant happy as i will take more wood from him!

I think the recession is really starting to bit now and it does look as if it will be around a while. Without a crystal ball it will be impossible to see how things will sell over winter. I think buy in only what you can afford to sit on. Or as the saying goes 'risk not thy whole wad'

I think the recession is really starting to bit now and it does look as if it will be around a while. Without a crystal ball it will be impossible to see how things will sell over winter. I think buy in only what you can afford to sit on. Or as the saying goes 'risk not thy whole wad'

Steve, it all depends on your appetite for risk. If i can get hold of cord for anything less than 75% of what the fc charge i will risk my "whole wad". The discount to market price goes some way to offset the risk of unsold wood.

Profit is the reward for risk taking.

You have got to be in it to win it. If you do not have stock you have nothing you are not in the game.

I view my stock of cord as an indexed linked bank account . I would rather my money is laying up in the woods waiting to be chopped rather than be cash sitting in the bank earning bugger all.

http://www.kinnoirwoodfuel.co.uk