Vehicle weights

YoGi_93

Ive been looking at licence categories and vehicle weights and I never realised how little flexibility I have with just a B licence! Most chippers I looked at weigh just under the legal weight for a towing a trailer for cat B. I looked at landy tippers and most weigh just over 3000kg and the legal weight for a vehicle is 3500kg. How much would a full chip box add to the weight of, say for example, a 110 defender single cab tipper, with greedy boards. Just out of curiosity :001_smile:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before i done my hgv i was told two different things by dvla.

the first was as long as what you are driving and towing and carrying doesnt go over 3.5 tonne on a b licence your fine.

then i was told you can tow up to 750kg on a b licence behind a any car/truck under 3.5 tonne.

dont no whats right and whats wrong anymore

''Motor vehicles with a MAM of up to 3,500 kg, no more than eight passenger seats, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg''

thats what it says on the direct gov website.

Do you know if that 3,500kg is dry weight or including the load?

How much would chip weigh?

Cat B licence - 3,500kg vehicle + up to 750kg

Cat B+E - 3,500 kg vehicle + trailer up to total weight of 7,500kg so long as max towing weight of vehicle is not exceeded.

I think.

I hope.

And vehicle weight is including load isn't it?

I dont know thats what im trying to find out :001_huh:

my dad has done a fair bit of towing with boats and stuff and he seems to think its un-laden weight. but he has been wrong before.

I suppose it makes sence to be weight including load but at the same time it could be the other aswell

I dont know thats what im trying to find out :001_huh:

my dad has done a fair bit of towing with boats and stuff and he seems to think its un-laden weight. but he has been wrong before.

I suppose it makes sence to be weight including load but at the same time it could be the other aswell

Its definitely gross weight NOT unladen weight

B licence is 3500kg plus a trailer up to 750kg

Cat B+E - 3,500 kg vehicle + trailer up to total weight of 7,500kg so long as max towing weight of vehicle is not exceeded.

I think.

I hope.

MAM is Maximum Authorised Mass

That means vehicle, it’s load, you your saws, your lunch box and whatever you have in your pockets

On a cat B licence the most the vehicle is allowed to weigh is 3500kg, and the most you can tow is 750kg that towing limit applies if the towing vehicle is empty or full.

You have a comma in the wrong place on the B+E what you said is that a vehicle with a MAM of three hand a half tonnes (Transit size) can tow seven and a half tonnes.

B+E allows you to drive a vehicle with a MAM of up to 3500kg, towing whatever the vehicle manufacturer declares it can. See the weighting plate in your vehicle for details but remember the info on the plate is what the vehicle is allowed to do rather than the driver.

MAM is Maximum Authorised Mass

That means vehicle, it’s load, you your saws, your lunch box and whatever you have in your pockets

On a cat B licence the most the vehicle is allowed to weigh is 3500kg, and the most you can tow is 750kg that towing limit applies if the towing vehicle is empty or full.

You have a comma in the wrong place on the B+E what you said is that a vehicle with a MAM of three hand a half tonnes (Transit size) can tow seven and a half tonnes.

B+E allows you to drive a vehicle with a MAM of up to 3500kg, towing whatever the vehicle manufacturer declares it can. See the weighting plate in your vehicle for details but remember the info on the plate is what the vehicle is allowed to do rather than the driver.

Just checked maximum authorised mass on the dvla website

It says max weight of vehicle or trailer but doesn't distinguish

What I mean is

Does this mean you can have a vehicle rated 3.5t GVW fully loaded(including everything) PLUS tow a trailer (up to 750kg on B and up to 7.5t on B=E)

VOSA overtook me the other day with a fully laden truck plus towing a chipper and didn't pull me over- though they may have taken pity......

There's definately some confusion on this one