Ditch the landy?

CHIP

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Try the landrover forums, someone in your area will be able to help you for a fraction of that cost, or if you are happy to get your hands dirty then someone will show you how as they are built like mecano! If not then I would think anything over 500 quid is taking the mickey a bit. If your getting a HD clutch then get the HD clutch fork too as its cheap to do with the gearbox out but a pain if it goes with it in.

If it's a td5 then at a main dealer it's around a grand coz u gotta change the dual mass fly wheel.

You don't have to change the dual mass it's just they would, I was told the same once and a plate was all it needed.

Can you not get a conversion for them the same set as the dual mass on a transit. Those dual mass systems are a rip off, am all for change but I can't see what the problem the was with a clutch of old.

Decision made.......Get another quote or two for clutch and continue to pile the miles on her. Have used the same garage / mechanic for the past 8-9 years and would feel i am cheating on him, 1k is 1k and it's better on my table :sneaky2:. Thanks for the advice you have all given.

She has 122.000 miles to her name (80 of them towing) and needs a new clutch, what is gonna cost £1500, how much longer will she go on for, do i replace her???

I take it your garage uses gold clutches lol heavy duty clutches are unde £100 even skimming flywheel doesnt cost that much

Here is is a full clutch for a td5 78 poundshttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Clutch-kit-TD5-Defender-Discovery11-DA5550-/110621282906?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c18ad25a#ht_954wt_901, i changed the clutch on my 90 200tdi took 5 hours start to finish, plus they stand so high you don,t even need to jack it up or use ramps, it,s an easy job as the middle seat comes out allowing access to the top of the box.

Here is is a full clutch for a td5 78 poundshttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Clutch-kit-TD5-Defender-Discovery11-DA5550-/110621282906?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c18ad25a#ht_954wt_901, i changed the clutch on my 90 200tdi took 5 hours start to finish, plus they stand so high you don,t even need to jack it up or use ramps, it,s an easy job as the middle seat comes out allowing access to the top of the box.

Thanks mate, me and spanners don't go and a job like that will take me 5 days not 5 hours! I see your point though, not a £1500 job.