Topped/pollarded?

sloth

Talking of the stability of regen. At the AAconference there was a chap on Monday, and to my shame his name alludes me, whose PhD is on included forks. A very interesting talk he gave and it's almost the missing link in, I think, in how a pollard then develops into a tree, lapsed pollard, with all the structural stability of a standard tree.

I believe he's about to publish his first set of findings in the arb journal.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking of the stability of regen. At the AAconference there was a chap on Monday, and to my shame his name alludes me, whose PhD is on included forks. A very interesting talk he gave and it's almost the missing link in, I think, in how a pollard then develops into a tree, lapsed pollard, with all the structural stability of a standard tree.

I believe he's about to publish his first set of findings in the arb journal.

His name is Duncan slater, head tutor at Myerscough

let us not forget that pollards where also within deer parks, a high pollard is a fine place to sit and shoot a shy deer with a bow, in fact many a deer stalker still finds the pollard a fine place to take a deer.

Well it would be if that weren’t contrary to UK statute law:confused1:

So a lapsed pollard is considered as structuraly sound as 'non regrowth' branches? If so, at what stage does a weakly attached regrowth branch become solid? When it has had enough time to engulf the branch growth with a collar from the trunk? A la Shigos model? From experience, I'd have said the joining wood between lapsed pollard growth has more of a swirled grain like wound wood, and obviously therefore very strong and resistant to tear outs. Unless of course there is too little shell in the boling to support the branch. How did the speaker explain it?

Hama, from the body language, how do you propose ancient pollards were created? And I'd be interested what body language do you expect to see from 3998 style pollards in years to come?

Well it would be if that weren’t contrary to UK statute law:confused1:

Bows THEN, rifles NOW!:001_rolleyes: get your head into tree time!

So a lapsed pollard is considered as structuraly sound as 'non regrowth' branches? If so, at what stage does a weakly attached regrowth branch become solid? When it has had enough time to engulf the branch growth with a collar from the trunk? A la Shigos model? From experience, I'd have said the joining wood between lapsed pollard growth has more of a swirled grain like wound wood, and obviously therefore very strong and resistant to tear outs. Unless of course there is too little shell in the boling to support the branch. How did the speaker explain it?

Hama, from the body language, how do you propose ancient pollards were created? And I'd be interested what body language do you expect to see from 3998 style pollards in years to come?

Decay columns speak volumes.

as for the modern form, they will rovide habitat no doubt, though thet will increase the liability as the knuckles grow to a great size and the inards decay leaving a ball with growth spines like the shel of a frag grenade.

Bows THEN, rifles NOW!:001_rolleyes: get your head into tree time!

Chortle, “tree time”, that’s a good one, in tree time if you had sat on your pollard it would have been small enough to provide bugger all cover and it would probably have been small enough to slip up your Ricker

Chortle, “tree time”, that’s a good one, in tree time if you had sat on your pollard it would have been small enough to provide bugger all cover and it would probably have been small enough to slip up your Ricker

on really? how old is the gun? the flintlock musket in the 17th century, and how old is pollarding as a practice?

If you want to watch deer (roe in my case, but I believe its the same for all) get 6 foot or more above ground level. If you are in a tree all the better. If yr quiet and they havent scented you they will walk right beneath.

A lot of problems stalkers/watchers have is due to their appalling fieldcraft. If you 'get with the forest' to quote The Boosh, you dont have these problems.:001_smile: