Topped/pollarded?

sloth

As a slight aside to an interesting thread, when does a pollard become a coppice?

This might seem an odd question but my belief has always been that pollarding height is above the browse line of any animal likely to nip off the re-growth. If I were to cut to say 2 foot so as to avoid rabbits nibbling (all other stock being excluded) would that be pollarding, coppicing (probably not!) or 'copparding? Is there any history of low-level pollarding?

Any pointers to the latter question would be most gratefully received.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a slight aside to an interesting thread, when does a pollard become a coppice?

This might seem an odd question but my belief has always been that pollarding height is above the browse line of any animal likely to nip off the re-growth. If I were to cut to say 2 foot so as to avoid rabbits nibbling (all other stock being excluded) would that be pollarding, coppicing (probably not!) or 'copparding? Is there any history of low-level pollarding?

Any pointers to the latter question would be most gratefully received.

If the original use was to stop cattle then above 6 to 7 foot is pollarding? But there are coppice stools 3 foot high in some woods above the height of rabbits which resemble pollards!

The Romans used to have about 20,000 hectares of willow pollards across the South of England for fuel for foundaries and for livestaock fodder. If I can get my hands on the book I read, Forestry Commision Publication, I'll post it's title.

If you travel down through Northern France you'll see many oaks that have been cut off at about 30-40 feet high and stripped of limbs. The re-growth is used for fodder in harsh winters. I forget what the technical term is.

The definition of a pollard is covered in this thread and it's in the new BS3998. Also, it's a term used by many to mean either managing an existing stem with lots of regeneration growth on it by cutting it all off periodically or simply cutting the top off a tree to create a stem that may develop regeneration growth, to be managed, may die, or may develop regeneration growth that eventually grows into a lapsed pollard or tree.

This is an attempt to take a little of the heat out of the discussion, which is ever going to be a battle between the purists, the realists and the ignorant.

For the record I sit firmly in the camp between the realists and the purists.