Rebuilding 1919 Sailing Trawler

copernicus

Hi, I'm rebuilding a wooden Trawler and am looking to buy green Oak, I can work with lengths as short as 1.5 metres, as this is for framing I can also use curved section, I can collect up to 2 tons at a time in the North East / North Yorkshire area, you can see her at Speedwell :: Coming soon to a marina near you in 2010!

I'm on 07773777129 if you can help. Thanks for looking, Derek.

Nice one, I like old boats, here's ours.

Are you connected to the national historic ships register? They can be quite helpfull and help guide to funding etc. I could only find 2 speedwells on the register but neither from 1919.

No time to read all of your blog now but quick look looks good. Good luck!

Sold some down here to boat yards over the years,as big lumps,& some nice curved stuff from old oak pollards,had a few of then turned their roots in the '87 storm'.

A joy to see them utilised in restoration work,and look round down below at the work done & the timber notched & bolted in,giving it a new structural purpose.

Lovely stuff.:thumbup1::001_smile:

Coincidentally, old boats are what started me on milling, as I couldn't afford to rebuild mine without doing my own timber. Mine is also on the register:

Search the registers National Register of Historic Vessels National Historic Ships

I would second Rover's comment about joining - I think mine was the first grant they ever gave out - for a week's course on forging wrought iron fittings, on Shetland in February.

What section are your frames? I've done all mine and have enough spares stacked away, so if you drop me a PM I may have some suitable bits going spare, and I travel up to Middlesbrough to visit some of my remote staff about once a month (just back today in fact) so could get them fairly close.

Alec

p.s. I like yours Rover!

Nice one, I like old boats, here's ours.

Are you connected to the national historic ships register? They can be quite helpfull and help guide to funding etc. I could only find 2 speedwells on the register but neither from 1919.

No time to read all of your blog now but quick look looks good. Good luck!

Hi Rover, I had a look at Ripple, she's going to be a nice boat when you've got her back, ISBC have been very helpful to me with advice, ideas and suggestions, If they restore her she'll be a force to reckon with in the smack races! Never considered Speedwell for the Historic Ships Register, something I should look at, Thanks for that.