Blower issue

RobRainford

My br420 backpack blower has been causing aggro recently. It had not been messed with in a long time, probably years, and always ran fine, until these past couple of weeks. The other day it was really temperamental and would start but as soon as it got revved it would die. Then I could run it and rev it gently and it would run for ages and get the job done. Then go to use it again and it's back to running for a few seconds and cutting out. I altered the carb slightly and it seemed to help a bit. It was fresh fuel in it too.

It's really puzzling. Is it a carb issue or even as simple as the fuel filter?

Going to be a case of checking tank breather, fuel pipes, air and fuel filters. worth pulling the top cover off the carb (not the diaphragm one) and checking the gauze filter hasn't got crap in it.

It is possible the rings have worn if the thing has been used to death - I did work in a 350 strimmer/brushcutter where the ends were about half thickness and compression had gone!

its not had a hard life really, its sat around in a shed for most of it. then i started using it last year and i think thats the most its had, it was orginally bought to be a mistblower but we have one thats set up for it and we have all the bits to turn this one into one. its never missed a beat since ive been using it, ready to work in less than 5 pulls 9 times out of 10!

• 1 month later...