Is red diesel being phased out in jan 2012?

Essex arborist

Do you know that the Emma Maersk (worlds largest container ship) burns 1660 litres of diesel per hour?

If I had a tanks that big I would definitely not be buying from a UK pump but on the spot market at Rotterdam.

It made me think though... I remember reading that the leisure boat users were the first to be targeted in the EU "Red Reform". I did a search and found this from the RYA http://www.rya.org.uk/infoadvice/regssafety/reddiesel/Pages/reddiesel.aspx

If you have the time to read this especially about the declaration of split between propulsion and heating you will see just how this country is dissapearing up its own a***. Would it be possible to make a tax system any more complicated?

As I said I can see a brave soul standing up and seeing this boleaux and doing away with red and all the complications that go with it. No refunds, no enforcement, no nothing - just white - take it or leave it.

Food prices will rise? End of the world as we know it? Please remember that red went from 45 to 65p in the blink of an eye (a 44% rise!!!!) and life went on. :confused1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stirred the **** now it easy if red diesel is the same price as white diesel all you have to do is claim it back to the tax system which you do now if you pay tax I claim the cost of my red diesel back I also claim the cost of my what diesel back so that no difference unless of course you don't pay tax you only work for cash. All you have to do is prove that you use red diesel for the purpose it's designed for I can't see a problem with this

The implications of this to world trade would be impossible to fathom. Do you know that the Emma Maersk (worlds largest container ship) burns 1660 litres of diesel per hour? If red prices went up the effect on the cost of fishing alone would have major implications on the world food market, and the knock-on effects would be phenomenal, without even thinking about the effect on agriculture.:001_rolleyes:

are you sure it burns diesel when I did some work on some big engines they didn't burn diesel it was a heavy oil

are you sure it burns diesel when I did some work on some big engines they didn't burn diesel it was a heavy oil

Wiki says

Emma Mærsk is powered by a Wärtsilä-Sulzer 14RTFLEX96-C engine, currently the world's largest single diesel unit, weighing 2,300 tons and capable of 109,000 horsepower (81 MW) when burning 1,660 US gallons (6,300 l) of heavy fuel oil per hour

Wiki says

Emma Mærsk is powered by a Wärtsilä-Sulzer 14RTFLEX96-C engine, currently the world's largest single diesel unit, weighing 2,300 tons and capable of 109,000 horsepower (81 MW) when burning 1,660 US gallons (6,300 l) of heavy fuel oil per hour

Heavy Fuel Oil or HFO (also called Marine Fuel Oil - MFO - or Fuel Oil No 6 ) is more commonly known as "Bunker C", and is a thick tarry stuff that has to be pre-heated in order to flow and burn. It is about as far removed from diesel fuel (which is essentially Fuel Oil No 2) as you can get.

Bunker C is essentially what is left in the distillation tower after all the better stuff (like the volatile petroleums and lighter oils like diesel fuel) has been removed.

Heavy Fuel Oil or HFO (also called Marine Fuel Oil - MFO - or Fuel Oil No 6 ) is more commonly known as "Bunker C", and is a thick tarry stuff that has to be pre-heated in order to flow and burn. It is about as far removed from diesel fuel (which is essentially Fuel Oil No 2) as you can get.

Bunker C is essentially what is left in the distillation tower after all the better stuff (like the volatile petroleums and lighter oils like diesel fuel) has been removed.

now i admit to know nothing about marine diesel, but surely if this "bunker C" stuff is the bit left over at the end then there isn't much poke left in it??? But the devil on my other shoulder says surely if they can burn it then it must be good for the enviroment as its less waste to get rid of.........:confused1:

Yup, it is very poor grade fuel (as a "residual" oil it is basically what's left from the crude oil after the good stuff has been taken out, so all the rubbish is actually more concentrated than it was in the crude to begin with). it is not easy to burn and has a relatively low calorific value.

The only reason it is used is because it is effectively a waste product and therefore very cheap, and if you are burning 1660 litres per hour, it needs to be very cheap indeed.

Yup, it is very poor grade fuel (as a "residual" oil it is basically what's left from the crude oil after the good stuff has been taken out, so all the rubbish is actually more concentrated than it was in the crude to begin with). it is not easy to burn and has a relatively low calorific value.

The only reason it is used is because it is effectively a waste product and therefore very cheap, and if you are burning 1660 litres per hour, it needs to be very cheap indeed.

I need some for my landrover!!