Treemagineers Pulley Saver.

Old Mill Tree Care

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a bit crap that a good splice wont pass LOLER without it!!! I mean people tie knots everyday!!!!!

The problem is it's very easy to see whether a knot is tied properly, but how can the LOLER man put his name to a splice which could look like I'd done it on the inside....? It could be the best splice in the world, but without a piece of paper stating that someone is responsible for the integrity of it, signing off the sheet means that if it fails and one of us ends up brown bread, he will be the one to be dragged through court....

I attended one of Noddy's splicing courses a few years back with three other guys who are all LOLER examiners. They were all of the mind that they would happily pass a hand spliced eye having now seen how it's done. I think having LOLER guys with splicing knowledge would see a welcome change in how hand splicing was accepted.

Very true. I think if you can evidence the provenance of a non CE spliced eye to someone who knows exactly what they're looking at then there shouldn't be any reason to fail one out of hand.... I should say a splice with only partial known history shouldn't be climbed on anyway.... I wouldn't want to hang my life off something which I couldn't be sure had been done properly anyway :001_smile:

I attended one of Noddy's splicing courses a few years back with three other guys who are all LOLER examiners. They were all of the mind that they would happily pass a hand spliced eye having now seen how it's done. I think having LOLER guys with splicing knowledge would see a welcome change in how hand splicing was accepted.

my loler guy says that in his paperwork that he got from his loler course states that he can only pass CE marked splices. Do i need a more open minded loler man???

my loler guy says that in his paperwork that he got from his loler course states that he can only pass CE marked splices. Do i need a more open minded loler man???

To the best of my knowledge

He can inspect them but can also decline to do so, the rope and splice should conform to the PUWER regulations which means it needs a CE mark, some inspectors will inspect non CE marked items some wont.

The purpose of any LOLER inspection is an examination of the item(s) to determine its condition and suitability for continued use so the lack of a CE mark shouldnt be a fail on LOER grounds.