What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Got a MS660 in for porting. Normally you expect the donor saw to be in reasonable working order but this one was a bit battered and pretty mucky under the covers.

I removed the clutch drum and this is what greeted me, lots of muck so removed the clutch to find a heavy layer of what resembled gutter sealant. I pulled that much out that I rolled up a ball of it and put it in the photo - looks like a huge rabbit turd but smells of linseed:sneaky2:

I was told by the owner that the saw had been serviced by the outfit that sold it to him.....not sure who I feel more sorry for.....me having to sort it or him having been lied to:thumbdown:

Nice :( not !

Even yours was nicer than this, even finding two stripped threads when finally putting the top cover on your saw and having to sort them was nicer:001_rolleyes::lol:

Well mine was tired and even butchers by previous owner/shop than me :)

Least I had decency to dose it in brake cleaner and blow as much crap out of it as I could for you :)

😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

That engine has not seized, somthing has gone through it, i would think the bearing cage has broken up, think i would split the crankcase and check.

Ok crankcase split.

The gudgeon and small bearings broke up whilst i was trying to get the pin out. The casing and crank looks ok to my untrained eye but this is the first time i've gone all the way.

Might try the meteor cylinder kit and I've noticed a few new cranks on the market for around the £40, not sure whether it would be safer using one of these or if they are just poo.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1452111785.257126.jpg.612f137c9c4ac3dee32035f2176ee5a1.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1452111808.874438.jpg.76c9ca03b7411277c55b851c0b21249e.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1452111826.543261.jpg.90b241f9bd81a32a4f2cc2d7a3fd81f7.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1452111841.361205.jpg.20ba185d64bfeff56bacf5945dda6478.jpg

Ok crankcase split.

The gudgeon and small bearings broke up whilst i was trying to get the pin out. The casing and crank looks ok to my untrained eye but this is the first time i've gone all the way.

Might try the meteor cylinder kit and I've noticed a few new cranks on the market for around the £40, not sure whether it would be safer using one of these or if they are just poo.

[ATTACH]196554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]196555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]196556[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]196557[/ATTACH]

No way of telling visually. It is worth measuring the difference in diameter of the crankshaft where it runs on the bearing and where it doesn't. I have used a couple of aftermarket crankshafts on MS660s and they have worked OK with no issues!

The only way I can tell if the rod is bent is to reuse it and see if the cylinder rocks from side to side when loose on an engine being pulled over.

Bent cranks usually show up as a loose chain rising and falling as the engine is pulled over. Basic but it works!