What's on your bench today?

spudulike

"Oh, I need to use it, not much good to me if it does not run properly is it?"

GRrrr!

I know there's more to it than this. But how about, "You said it was good apart from the oiler and I can confirm it's running as good now, as when you last used it. Except the oiler, which is better."

I know there's more to it than this. But how about, "You said it was good apart from the oiler and I can confirm it's running as good now, as when you last used it. Except the oiler, which is better."

Nice reply TGB, and one that I will try to remember in the future!

But in this case I doubt it was running as well as it was when last used, the petrol was rank! But the customer was having none of that when he brought it in, insisting on the oil pump only, which is in some ways fair enough, it is his choice. Even though I had made it clear that it looked like it needed more work.

The thing is that I really wanted to dive on in and sort it out, but I have done this sort of thing so many times in the past for no thanks.

If I fix something I was not asked to fix, then I cant expect payment. I really don't mind going the extra mile for people that I know will happily pay, and when I know this I often don't charge them anyway for little extras.

But for the guy who wants to keep his cost down and only insists on a part job then that's all he gets, otherwise he will get to know that he can pay for a repair and I will be daft enough to give him a full service.

Luckily most customers ask us to do everything necessary and we can turn out work we are proud of, so its not really an issue.

Had an old Husqvarna 181SE in, not to be confused with the MS181, this is one big lump of Swedish old school muscle and they are a real powerhouse.

This one wasn't idling and was being ported. The L screw was turned right in and after stripping the carb, I found out why. The throttle rod was shagged as us engineers say and letting in air.....so much air that the idle screw could be backed right out and it would still run.

Fortunately another Arbtalker came up trumps with a very tidy carb from a 266 which shares the same rod but different carb bore size - thanks very much:thumbup:. Parts were swapped, greased and we had a nice fit. I would have thought the wear would be on the alloy body but there you go.....pretty bad wear!

59766eb1c6968_Tillotsonrod.jpg.727b58a18ba15a6d4527c94a291cfde8.jpg

Had an old Husqvarna 181SE in, not to be confused with the MS181, this is one big lump of Swedish old school muscle and they are a real powerhouse.

This one wasn't idling and was being ported. The L screw was turned right in and after stripping the carb, I found out why. The throttle rod was shagged as us engineers say and letting in air.....so much air that the idle screw could be backed right out and it would still run.

Fortunately another Arbtalker came up trumps with a very tidy carb from a 266 which shares the same rod but different carb bore size - thanks very much:thumbup:. Parts were swapped, greased and we had a nice fit. I would have thought the wear would be on the alloy body but there you go.....pretty bad wear!

Spud can ya put up a pic of the beast when it's back together please and tell us some of the specs ie; before and after porting etc :thumbup1:

Thank you to my mystery benefactor. :001_smile:

Spud can ya put up a pic of the beast when it's back together please and tell us some of the specs ie; before and after porting etc :thumbup1:

Unfortunately it is too late as it is done but in short, exhaust port, lots of widening, inlet is a weird shape but can be widened a bit and reshaped but be careful of the lower ring end. lower transfer - widen and reshape, uppers, a little reshaping but watch the ring end. Base gasket can be dropped. The exhaust outlet is pretty big so just drill the baffle.

This was an early thin ring model and picks up surprisingly quickly now:thumbup: