What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I just use a 4.5" angle grinder with a 3mm disc. Quick and accurate, no need to dissmantle the blades and no setting up in jig. It works fro me.

Same for me. But it is actually illegal to use a cutting disc as a grinding disc. So don't be tempted.

I use the grinder method, you have to be careful though as a touch too much pressure and the edge turns blue, then you have to grind this off taking more off the edge than you should. Think ive tried every method going and even some inventions Heath Robinson would be proud of but non seem to give me a perfect edge.

I agree, it is quite easy to blue the edge, especially if the disc is a bit 'clogged' as it heats rather than grinds. I use a stone dresser just to keep the disc clean.

I was using 'thin discs' but found they clogged to easily, and are prone to shattering.

6mm grinding discs are too big to get into the blade gap sensibly, but 3mm cutting discs are just right, and being that bit coarser than the 'thins' they do not blue the tooth as easily.

I reckon I get a pretty perfect grind this way, nice and straight and even. I cannot see how its possible to do this with a dremmel though.

Glad im not the only one who gives it a quick accurate swipe with a grinder. Often thought about doing it with the handheld granberg (basically like a big dremel) but I cant see it being easier/quicker than a 4 1/2"

Granberg do a fitting for there chain grinder for hedge cutters I believe but can imagine it being a right fiddle and ball ache.

Same for me. But it is actually illegal to use a cutting disc as a grinding disc. So don't be tempted.

I can't see it would be illegal in common law or civil for that matter - he probably meant it goes against whatever legislation the H&S have in place for grinding wheels and disks - don't think The Sweeny would have been quite so good if they had nicked the blagger for using an angle grinder with the wrong disk type.

Your nicked slag....wrong disk:lol:

This is the sort of edge achievable with a 4.5" disc, used almost flat.

There is a tiny bit of blueing towards the tip, but a little bit is OK. If you sharpen so slowly as to get no blueing at all on well worn teeth, it would be cheaper to fit new blades.

P1000607.jpg.5984f346eac339e65b5df0183e086dc5.jpg

P1000608.jpg.e4ab313a1036bebe663813193f10260c.jpg

Hmm Barry just a thought..

Maybe smearing some oil on the disc may help stop the blueing? Im not talking making it sodden wet or maybe a finger smear over each blade may take enough heat out to stop the blue so much? Should take some aggression out the disc and help coolness.

Wander if a carbide type disc would get deep enough to the base of the blade as that shouldn't blue but maybe an issue with clearance?

I only do a few a year so not really enough to compare results.