What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well, what was my giant cup cake (395xp) has come back from Spud today.

I have skimmed through this thread and feel that I should make something clear.

It was not Spuds fault that that the Aluminium plug failed and for anyone that thinks he made a bad decision by installing an Ali one, he only did it because I really pressured him into getting the saw back to me pronto and by any means possible.

It's all good now though.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

It was not Spuds fault that that the Aluminium plug failed and for anyone that thinks he made a bad decision by installing an Ali one, he only did it because I really pressured him into getting the saw back to me pronto and by any means possible.

Thanks Alasdair, all I aim for is a fixed saw and happy owner at the end of the day so always try to achieve this:thumbup:

I am sure it should be OK now - thought the pics may be interesting and shows a fair bit goes in to this sort of repair:thumbup:

Hope the wife has got over seeing a grease monkey in a suit:lol:

I don't think anyone thought Spud was to blame, (well, except for Spud!)

We were just interested in why, and how to make a better repair with the hind sight of the first failure.

I reckon he did a top job.

I had a puzzler today.

A Tanaka blower which ran well for 10 minutes (almost to the second) and then just stopped.

Coil failure?..... starts straight away, and runs for another 10 minutes before stopping. So NO to coil.

Blocked tank breather? ..... removed cap completely.. 10 minutes and stop. So No to breather.

Plug? ... changed it.... same fault.

So in desperation I disconnected the kill switch.. Ran for 30 minutes with no problem.

How does a switch play up, especially to a set time interval???? Weird.

P1000916.jpg.e3ec18ef5e7c4027135dc27bd060df07.jpg

P1000917.jpg.0d9487eb8424c016f68ecab9cfe4570c.jpg

Seal All 1: Rest of the engine 0

Seal all seemed to do the trick on the makita dbc410 crank seal spud but rest of engine 1393101810673.jpg.e4cf14e5b57b1b685187be4408d582c7.jpgwouldnt hold pressure so removed from strimmer body.found another leak at the carb manifold- broken gasket. Lastly the whole bottom section of the engine(clam??) was leaking air.sealed it with some black rtv gasket maker.will retest tomorrow.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Arbtalk mobile app

Weird one today, got a 390XP in for porting, took it out of the box, let it drop on the recoil - seemed OK, started stripping it down, removed the covers, plug etc. Tried turning the saw over by turning the flywheel and it wouldn'tgo over top dead centre....either way:confused1:

Tried looking at the piston crown through the exhaust port, all looked OK:confused1: Gave the owner a bell and it seems it did a few tons of timber a week earlier :confused1: so I decided to take the cylinder off - loads of carbon and the bit that had fallen off the plug on removal had given the piston extra height and bingo - it would lock onTDC:blushing:

Never seen that before!

DSCF1557.jpg.4252558efa1885f206004d6b18b46bc3.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg.d08c090d726bfc7284376dcb117cc06b.jpg

DSCF1553.jpg.7c6d25f09186394c99cf82c3d75d473a.jpg

DSCF1552.jpg.7c502582dc9ec7b8f079135945f11db0.jpg