What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Thanks Spud,

Youre a gent.

Now just give me a brief technical conclusion of how piston slap enables the loss of power to stop the chain if you would. :001_rolleyes:

What happens inside the saw?

Does the clutch slip from loss of power/friction to the clutch?

The lower skirt of the piston wears and also the upper part of the piston also suffers in the same way causing the seal to be made by the rings only causing low compression - chances you have around 130psi compression - enough to get it going but little else!

When the saw won't cut, do the revs drop off or soar as the chain stops - if the revs soar, it is a slipping clutch - if they drop then it will be lack of power and that may be down to wear as I have described or even a badly adjusted carb/fuel issue.

The 241's and 261's both have the plastic bit on the inside of the carb almost going down the inlet throat. I've removed it on a 261 but must admit it doesn't seem any different in the mid range but at full throttle it seems to have made it worse splutters and pops a bit like over fuelling. At least that's what I thought :confused1:.

I have a few weapons in my armoury - just want this one to run better than it currently is - it is way behind the MS200 IMO

The lower skirt of the piston wears and also the upper part of the piston also suffers in the same way causing the seal to be made by the rings only causing low compression - chances you have around 130psi compression - enough to get it going but little else!

When the saw won't cut, do the revs drop off or soar as the chain stops - if the revs soar, it is a slipping clutch - if they drop then it will be lack of power and that may be down to wear as I have described or even a badly adjusted carb/fuel issue.

I have yet to strip it as I need to finish two others off first, but I think your diagnosis is bang on, it has that tinny tapping noise- only thing that surprises me is that it looks like it hasn't done much work at all?

soon find out and let you know.- waiting for my new compression tester to come so will give it a try before stripping.

cheers M

Do you have a larger workshop now then Rich?

Urm. Ever so slightly....

At a very rough guess I would say, 40m long, 20m wide and a barn height. Big double sliding doors and a huge pit running half the length.

Got to admit it's what I've got to work in and any machines that go in are ok to work on.

It's on a sort of "do the odd job for the farmer" type rent. And that's normally sitting on a digger for a couple of hours, or like this morning, digging around a drain stop tap to replace the round drain over it.

Also got a big container for storage of the saws and push mowers.

I have yet to strip it as I need to finish two others off first, but I think your diagnosis is bang on, it has that tinny tapping noise- only thing that surprises me is that it looks like it hasn't done much work at all?

soon find out and let you know.- waiting for my new compression tester to come so will give it a try before stripping.

cheers M

You can also get rattles from a worn clutch - just take it off and start the saw - if the rattle has gone:thumbup: fault found!

Both are common on 026/260s

Good for you mate!

Thanks bud. I enjoy it as I don't always have saws or mowers in there. Sometimes a tractor will be there when I turn up in the morn with something that needs doing to it. So I can jump between the small tools and the tractors when I get bored of the tools.

And when I say bored I mean "frustrated" :lol::lol::lol:

Noises!!

A few months ago a local guy could not start his 440, so he brought it in, desperate to start it to use on a job.

It was one of those cases where I actually started it on the 4th pull, just luck I suppose. (well, possibly a bit of incredible skill too)

But it sounded awful, rattling and clanking away. I said he should not use it, but he said "always sounds like that, s'okay"

It came back today as the starter spring and pawls had parted company, so I checked out the clanking, the clutch segments were completely loose, no springs and no clips, yet it had been in regular use. Amazing.:biggrin:

Thanks bud. I enjoy it as I don't always have saws or mowers in there. Sometimes a tractor will be there when I turn up in the morn with something that needs doing to it. So I can jump between the small tools and the tractors when I get bored of the tools.

And when I say bored I mean "frustrated" :lol::lol::lol:

I grew out of playing with tractors.