What's on your bench today?

spudulike

In answer to your question - this richening up a saw after modifying is in fact rowlocks, I have yet to richen a saw up after any tuning....fact.

What happens is that when you port/muffler mod, you INCREASE the flow through the carb and engine. This increase in flow INCREASES the venturi effect through the carb, this has the effect of pulling up more fuel from the metering section of the carb and therefore the carb actually needs leaning down - most saws I port are happily running on 3/4 turn and the plug colour is a dark to mid tan colour.

In reality, you tune the modified saw to near maximum revs and listen for fourstroking (more obvious on muffler moded saws) and use this plus the plug colour to find out where the carb setting should be.

If you have a set tuning regiem and know where a saw should be then it is pretty easy to dial in the correct revs to ensure correct running.

As Eddy says - do a couple of big cuts then do a plug chop - take it out directly after finishing the cut an look at the colour - tan colour is good! Reckon you are running rich if it is smoking!

Modified saws can sound a bit rich and fat when cold - it changes after the saws are hot and they rev out fine.

Another gem bit of learning -my ear is getting better - i need to look at plug colour more as well - cheers spud

I might need it back to get through the crust on your cake:blushing::001_tt2:

Only joking - reckon Mk2 may be very good....what saw did you want next:lol:

On my bench.....a MS200 quelle surprise....with a dodgy kill switch, normally everyone blames the black wire but the last couple of cases have been the earth strap - easily repaired as in the pictures - resoldered and shrinkwrapped

Common fault, I make my own also.

Looks good to me - do you reckon those light marks are where the plating has come off or where there is some transfer left?

If you can't feel it with your fingertip then it should be OK.

The MS660 I just did looked worse and is now making 150PSI on a new piston after running it up and taching!

I think it was transfer left.

Been polishing.

image.jpg.0c93c6730702b8f20a88948602451587.jpg

Common fault, I make my own also.

In my experience they fail more frequently than the black wire, and are thankfully much easier to replace. I used to mess around mending them, but the genuine part is so cheap its not worth the time messing about.

They often fail because of excess handle movement from the front AV, so check the AV (annular buffer) when you fit a new wire (or repair an old one).

In my experience they fail more frequently than the black wire, and are thankfully much easier to replace. I used to mess around mending them, but the genuine part is so cheap its not worth the time messing about.

They often fail because of excess handle movement from the front AV, so check the AV (annular buffer) when you fit a new wire (or repair an old one).

Always do Barrie:thumbup: - last couple have been the earth strap - not obvious until you either meter it out of give it a pull:blushing: Oh er missus:lol:

MS200T - just about the most battered one I have come accross - nice side cover and new fuel tank but the rest of it.......got the piston and cylinder boiling in the ultrasonic cleaner at the moment cleaning the crud off it!

Flipping heck! Didn't realise it was that bad! I'll send a valet round to your workshop after you're done with it:D

There you go....part number 1129 440 4000. Available from any good Stihl dealer at £1.35 plus vat

5976651a0aa2b_stihl001.jpg.5a920b90d9343ad83efeafa75c01b5ea.jpg

Flipping heck! Didn't realise it was that bad! I'll send a valet round to your workshop after you're done with it:D

It's worse up close :001_rolleyes:

The cylinder has shed a fair bit of crap and should cool a bit better and got most of the crap off the piston. Should run a little cleaner once ported!