What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Pesky husky hedge cutter on bench tonight. Had a look at flywheel and I'm not sure it's the right one. Had no markings on it.

No amount of fiddling would get it to pull over right. And due to this I can't tune it. It's a bit strange aswell. When it does get going if I tune it to running perfect wen I stop and then start it again the tuning is way off. Oh well back to square one. Time for a really good clean out and full check. Well look into the flywheel aswell.

Got an ms250 in aswell. Was running then died and now won't restart. One for tommorow as I'm home and I'm knackerd.

isn't that classic air leak stuff? just made a new flexoid carb base gasket for an 09 same symptoms - runs beautifully after being replaced

isn't that classic air leak stuff? just made a new flexoid carb base gasket for an 09 same symptoms - runs beautifully after being replaced

Well after the clean out and I managed to sort the pull start out aswell.

So to start with the pull start I decided that abit of hill billy engineering was in play. So welded to the lugs a bit and filed it flat again. It now catches perfectly and every time.

The cutter runs perfectly. A good clean revealed some crap in the carb. So wouldn't tune on the high screw.

Also sorted out an ms250. Not running. So used my new shiny zama and Walbro setting tools and set the meter arm hight. Runs like a dream.

Also had time to look at an ms200t not oiling the chain. A good clean and all good.

Had the crank in the freezer for a couple of days, slid in without any effort. Crankcase assembled but my query is with the excess gasket hanging over the edges, the piston side. Do you file these down?

The excess gasket on the crankcase maing surface with the cylinder MUST be trimmed - I use a wood working chisel to finely cut the excess off and get it flat.

If you don't do this, you are likely to get an airleak around this area.

Parts came for the Ms240 today courtesy of GHS. Had all the bits cleaned last night and ready for assembly. New main bearings and seals, new small end bearing, Golf piston kit and gasket set. Total of £50 and a couple of hours this evening and all's going sweet again. Next job husky 136, and I bought myself a cracking 048av stihl. Had an 042 for years and always regretted selling it, so went one better. Bargain too at £190 delivered.

Parts came for the Ms240 today courtesy of GHS. Had all the bits cleaned last night and ready for assembly. New main bearings and seals, new small end bearing, Golf piston kit and gasket set. Total of £50 and a couple of hours this evening and all's going sweet again. Next job husky 136, and I bought myself a cracking 048av stihl. Had an 042 for years and always regretted selling it, so went one better. Bargain too at £190 delivered.

I love the 048av. Damn big saw. Heavy but just goes.

They do have a tendency to leak from the clutch side crank seals if used sideways a lot. And have had to make up the exhaust studs after it pulled out the original ones. But still love it and it just pulls through timber.:thumbup:

MS260 with a chinese top end on, customer said he bought it off ebay and fitted the top end himself, Stone cold the saw is 140 psi, run it for 5 mins and stop it and it wont restart and the compression is 60 psi. Exhaust off and there is no damage to piston or cylinder, let it cool and comp is back up to 140 starts and runs, stop it again and it wont restart because the compression is too low again. So i took the cylinder off while it was hot and the rings are stuck fast in the grooves pinched up tight against the pins. Sat and had a cig and looked at it and as it cooled down the rings opened up and sat as they should. Put some oem rings in and its running and starting fine. Dont know what the rings were made off but when they get warm they expand fast and get stuck.

Can anyone tell me the max revs for a Makita DCS430, can't seem to find it on google.

I think it's 12k, but I'll check later in the manual. Pm me if I haven't answered by later tonight since I'll have forgotten!

I can email you the manual and IPL if it helps...