What's on your bench today?

spudulike

something has turned open on my bench today that would be my new meteor piston :thumbup:

From that I am guessing you went in a bit hard with the dremmel:thumbdown: Glad my little tip was of use otherwise you would have been looking at an expensive door stop or ship anchor:lol:

Glad it is up and running and will hopefully work well from now - all good:thumbup:

Just need to make a chain and she is ready to rumble. gonna put a 30" bar and a friend has challenged me to race with his 395xp with a 36" bar so should be fun.

If you're having a race, get your chain set up first. These saws are all about torque, not speed, so with a standard sprocket they don't pull the chain that fast, but they never bog down. That means that to get the most out of it, take the rakers down on the chain as far as you possibly can without it bogging down. You need to decide if you're racing in something hard like oak, or soft like poplar, and roughly what size, as that decides how much you can take off.

Alec

Had to go in today to try and catch up a bit. Serviced 3 saws and 4 hedge cutters.

i would have done more , but an 024 needed the carb overhauled as the gauze was blocked with dissolved plastic from the tank and the pump diaphragms were swollen.

An MS210 also needed the carb doing as the gauze was choked with emulsified oil crud. This one was a bit weird though, as on reassembly I could not get it to run without the H screw out 21/2 turns. (spec is 11/2 with cap off and 3/4 cap on)

At this setting it ran fine, but being so far out it hinted at an air leak, so I set it up for a pressure/vac test. But as normal, one of the M8 exhaust nuts decided to lock on its thread, so a bit more time wasted. The test however revealed perfect crankcase sealing, so no problem there.

The saw tached perfectly at 12500 and runs sweet. The plug colour is good. I like things to conform a bit more than this, but cant do any more, so it will go back to the owner with fingers crossed. It will be OK.

The final picture is of a fuel problem on a JD lawn tractor that I can't blame on stale petrol. Why do mice love to eat plastic I wonder?P1000959.jpg.6c9ab6cb78842fa9df0be5118e8a531d.jpg

P1000961.jpg.ab089df7923b8f9f47c6af0cda74ec20.jpg

P1000955.jpg.3f3df348d26b62fe6da9d5787a6201e2.jpg

Been working on a 372XP - bit of porting. First thing to notice is the Feck off bad boy muffler and the second - the high rise airfilter - nice:thumbup:

I half expected to see this already ported once apart but it wasn't. Opened up the inlet and exhaust, modified the transfers considerably, dropped the base gasket then did all the necessary pressure and vac tests - all fine after cleaning the leaky decomp! Very worth doing these no need tuning a leaky saw!

All looks good, fired right up and will now tach on a 24" as per the usual bar of choice by the customer.

DSCF0326.jpg.46cb12855d3aea96766d0e0454765812.jpg

DSCF0327.jpg.8528628ae722f42311083b2fac8a05dd.jpg

DSCF0332.jpg.5247fc1e18d7323e80ac311dfd67af60.jpg

DSCF0334.jpg.a1acbdd81915cf88971f799b990664ef.jpg

DSCF0335.jpg.276537cbd52474aee0631b156b64aa1c.jpg

DSCF0344.jpg.da86ac438d3c2b926a265fc89c6e5e2e.jpg

DSCF0341.jpg.180ee0378cb8a324d22a648aff385443.jpg

Is there anything to be wary of when modding the intake port ? I didn't change the shape of the actual port like you have here I only made the outside larger and smoothed it out

I Usually widen both the inlet and exhaust port - the exhaust port gets squared up a little but not so much it could snag a ring. The inlet got squared a tad but not that much TBH.

When you tach a saw in this state of tune, you generally get some heavy fourstroking at the point where the saw normally maxed out - this allows higher max revs and more power:thumbup:

Is there anything to be wary of when modding the intake port ? I didn't change the shape of the actual port like you have here I only made the outside larger and smoothed it out

If you change the top and bottom, or roof and bottom of the port you start changing the timing of the engine. This can lead to bad things.

The exhaust can be changed so it stays open for longer allowing more gasses to escape but too much and you hit major problems.