What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Spud one word. Wow.

I would never have the competence to just go and try to port a saw. As I'm sure most wouldn't either.

But next time your planning another ported saws day out I would be most interested on seeing one in action.:thumbup:

I'm a bit worried about the offer of bed what with marriage soon and all so I'm going to have to turn the offer down I'm afraid. :thumbup1::lol::lol:

Well there's nothing on the bench now but I did resurrect a Dolmar/Makita 540 a few days ago .It seems it spit a part of a rod bearing through the top of the piston right at the right hand transfer .

Changed out the crank, filed the piston and put in a new ring .Back among the living once again .In spite of opinions they don't have to be perfect to run well .

I also rebuilt a carb on my super 44A McCulloch which was made in 1959 long before most people on most forums were even born,myself not include in that number .:biggrin:

I'm looking forward more than ever to getting the 395 ported now ... I agree martins 357 was a stonking saw, I'm curious did it have piston work or is that all port work on that saw?

Martins 357 was a new piston (standard) squish lowered, ported exhaust and inlet ports, opened lower transfers and re-modeled uppers. The muffler was also modded - seems pretty fast from what I have seen!

I don't get much time to use the saws I do, shame! Mine is the only one we have done a pop up piston on!

I was looking at a pole saw four mix today. Damn these things are crap. Cleaned carb, checked valves, checked the fuel getting into the air filter thing. Still wont run good. It's now going in a box and getting replaced with another. What engine should I replace it with? Seen a few two strokes on them.

Had a Kawasaki strimmer aswell, running poor. Cleaned carb out and works a treat.

Today it proves thoroughness wins the day - had another look at the 064 oiler, noted the clutch backplate washer was missing and also that the elbow pipe that joins the oil pump to the oiler channel in the bar mount has a tiny hole in it - only noticed by pressure testing it, it just wouldn't hold pressure.

The owner was conplaining that the oiler was intermittent and oil was coming from under the saw - I am replacing the worn pinion, the missing washer and the pipe. I also checked the breather and the feed pipe/filter, both were fine.

I also started on a local guys 395XP, he strait fuelled it and the damage can be seen below, the piston is toasted but the bore looks pretty good.

The saw is to be ported and the arrows on the piston photo show the restrictive width of the upper part of the piston skirt, the Meteor piston I am fitting doesn't have this problem as the edges of the skirts are straight:thumbup: The inlet port looks pretty wide but the exhaust looks like it will widen and re-shape plus lots to do on the transfers and piston windows.

A dual port muffler is also on the cards - nice thing about doing a machine locally is the abillity to see the saw in action after doing it - rather looking forward to this one!

597661e6510a8_Portsizepiston.JPG.00a2f06534378606c296ff619a3c8a65.JPG

597661e64eabf_395Piston.JPG.1fd0ee98a5f17df4ebb0043de8276b2f.JPG

P1040797.JPG.4fc06cc6a32f27387d1b39ea4174007a.JPG

P1040798.JPG.fb38934e5ba2fc3c1f77cacee6c6c450.JPG

Here we have "my day off" - porting a Husky 395XP...The owner ran it on straight petrol - bad man! Got a nice Meteor piston in, the bore was pretty good and cleaned up just fine.

The piston gave little in the way of porting so ground off the casting lines and smoothed the windows a little.

The exhaust and inlet ports were squared up and the exhaust port roof raised a little to make up for the base gasket being dropped. the lower transfers were heavily modified and the uppers raised by the height of the base gasket and re-modeled to increase the scavanging of the exhaust gases.

The muffler was modded with a twin port and the result is 170psi - not tached it yet but it sure sounds good:thumbup:

597661efe388e_TwinPort.JPG.a462032a25ab763a53470c62bada966d.JPG

597661efdf0b2_VacuumCheck.JPG.3b9ca982a6f7c93bfa1c07c44c24891f.JPG

597661efd7f06_PressureCheck.JPG.d302ebf7c6d6209d492bb565a44a5538.JPG

Transfers.JPG.d891e09ce5f6cf51dd7c46bbd6c52628.JPG

597661efced31_Transfersbefore.JPG.ef19033ce475291d185f70bde35f327d.JPG

Inlet.JPG.0bfbecbc781522142b02313dbd9c23ca.JPG

exhaust.JPG.987dfb97add9edda66d2f98c939a08d8.JPG

Piston.JPG.cc1c574f8b054a7fee44d2ff0e6a8844.JPG