What's on your bench today?

spudulike

How does air leak out of the carb if you are performing a vac/pressure test on the crankcase?

The carb was pushed in to the Impulse line so the air was leaking through the impulse circuit and evacuating through the needle valve in to the bore of the carb - on the 048 it has a separate impulse line as I am sure you know and can plug it or just use the carb, fortunately on this one I took the easy option and used the carb to seal the impulse which showed the leak - vac and pressure testing the carb would have shown the fault also!

I would have removed the flywheel before removing the top cover to check the oil seal and also the sealant between the pan and the cylinder. The top cover is relatively easy to remove, harder to install. It does help if you remove the brake handle first though.

Looks like an early model, can't be certain from the pic of the date on the sticker. But given there is no decomp and the old style tank vent it looks like a 2000/2001/2002 model.

Yes - early model and a pig - holds vacuum and pressure, have checked the breather, the fuel and impulse lines, fuel filters, have cleaned the carb, tried another carb, tried another coil, checked the flywheel key, checked the compression, checked the state of the piston and the thing just wont idle or hold a steady speed, just revs up and dies then fast idle then dies - looks like the carb isn't getting a steady supply of fuel but this one almost has me beat.

Got an 029 Stihl and will swap parts with this as the spare parts from the 390 I have give the same faults - this one is a pig:thumbdown:

Stihl MS390 - strange saws to work on, the top cover is sort of part of the handle assembly and airbox and is a right pig to remove:thumbdown:

Yes - Did a 290 couple of years ago - same symptons but just a split fuel line.

Yes - Did a 290 couple of years ago - same symptons but just a split fuel line.

Oh I just wish.....have swapped the fuel line and pressure tested the old one and the impulse line - yes, I plugged the pipe one end and put the gauge on the other and gave it a good stretch and waggle - Grrrrrrrr still not right.

I am wondering if this saw has an air leak that only shows when running - baffling.

Bench is clear, first time I can remember seeing the bench top since it went in, must be doing something right as no saws have come back, have to be carefully soon I wont have a job as no saws to fix means no money coming in.

Oh well there's always the quad bikes to fix, but then it's mowing season soon so should be able to fill bench with mower parts again lol

this will drive you mad, I know how you feel.

Frustrating - Done a Husky 51 for a mate on friday.He took it to MST who removed exhaust reveiling light scoring.He was told beyond economic repair and would he like to buy a new stihl or makita.I drained fuel which looked too oily and refilled with Aspen and it ran.It would not run well at full throttle but after 10 minutes with the tiny tach i was happy and phoned ready for collection.Mate arrived sat afternoon so I started it up Ok but wouldn't idle then wouldn't start:001_rolleyes:This morning fired on the first pull and ran on the second.Compression tested at 145 psi and plug and coil tested good.I reassembled saw and increased idle speed from 2500 to 2600 rpm.Went and cut some wood.Saw runs well - 8 x 325 sprocket, 21LPX chain and 15" bar.

Bench is clear, first time I can remember seeing the bench top since it went in, must be doing something right as no saws have come back, have to be carefully soon I wont have a job as no saws to fix means no money coming in.

Oh well there's always the quad bikes to fix, but then it's mowing season soon so should be able to fill bench with mower parts again lol

Dont wait for the mowers to break, get em in now for service. I,ve got 32 here that have come in this week, as well as two lawn tractors, several 2 strokes and 12 flippin garden shears!

Frustrating - Done a Husky 51 for a mate on friday.He took it to MST who removed exhaust reveiling light scoring.He was told beyond economic repair and would he like to buy a new stihl or makita.I drained fuel which looked too oily and refilled with Aspen and it ran.It would not run well at full throttle but after 10 minutes with the tiny tach i was happy and phoned ready for collection.Mate arrived sat afternoon so I started it up Ok but wouldn't idle then wouldn't start:001_rolleyes:This morning fired on the first pull and ran on the second.Compression tested at 145 psi and plug and coil tested good.I reassembled saw and increased idle speed from 2500 to 2600 rpm.Went and cut some wood.Saw runs well - 8 x 325 sprocket, 21LPX chain and 15" bar.

Best check it in the morning before he comes to get it!

Nothing more embarassing than having to send customer away while you 'have another go'

I have learnt the hard way to let them go cold and test again, often got to do a little retune for cold start / pickup.

I actually stopped doing services on mowers as it was always a pain.

Might start again just to stop me getting on her nerves being in the house.

God knows how many shears I've done, know one knows how to use a file anymore, there are a few bits to do but they are call outs on chippers but they are engine service or blade changes.

Had a Greenmech that was slamming the back of a truck on Friday, ram had gone on the hitch, 80 quid for a ram and it was a 5 min job.

There is my other problem how do I charge for a job that only takes 5 mins, I have always struggled to charge a suitable amount for a really small pathetic job that takes me longer to get out the van than do the job or longer to get it in the workshop.......