What's on your bench today?

spudulike

A Stihl MS260 started work OK then kept cutting out after 20-30 seconds, having turned it over to get a bit of fuel through. The tank vent was OK, as was the filter in the carb pump chamber. Decided to check the impulse hose before stripping the carb any further and found it had detached itself from the spigot on the crankcase. Finally got it re-attached and the saw now runs fine.

I've checked another MS260 bought at the same time and found the impulse hose wasn't all the way home on the spigot (it is now!). Perhaps vibration and the pull of the snaking route the hose takes had caused the problem one to gradually work itself loose.

A free fix - can't be bad!

Regards, Martin

A Stihl MS260 started work OK then kept cutting out after 20-30 seconds, having turned it over to get a bit of fuel through. The tank vent was OK, as was the filter in the carb pump chamber. Decided to check the impulse hose before stripping the carb any further and found it had detached itself from the spigot on the crankcase. Finally got it re-attached and the saw now runs fine.

I've checked another MS260 bought at the same time and found the impulse hose wasn't all the way home on the spigot (it is now!). Perhaps vibration and the pull of the snaking route the hose takes had caused the problem one to gradually work itself loose.

A free fix - can't be bad!

Regards, Martin

Had exactly the same on my 260. Took me for ever to find out what it was. Was a very blonde moment. then I came on here and asked the question. That was how I found this forum and probably the start of my tech on saws.

Keep any eye on it as I have had it pop out once since and I put a new longer piece of pipe on. Been fine ever since. :thumbup:

finally got my 395 running on tickover , needs a wee bit more tuning though, the butchered 395 rides again :) well impressed with it. Thanks to all techs who post on here made me confident enough to have a go. Onto my auld 350 next .

It's why I set up this thread - to give people an idea of what can go wrong and how to fix it. Just thought that some of the content on this section of Arbtalk was a bit lightweight and thought it could be done better.

80,000 views and this sort of comment shows the positive effect it has had:thumbup:

Thanks for the praise and thanks for the input of others that makes this thread a success:thumbup1:

the thing I like about this forum is no one is treated like an idiot so even those with little or no knowledge should feel confident enough to post a question although I find reading the posts gives enough info to have a go... a bit of banter is great though:)

Had exactly the same on my 260. Took me for ever to find out what it was. Was a very blonde moment. then I came on here and asked the question. That was how I found this forum and probably the start of my tech on saws.

Keep any eye on it as I have had it pop out once since and I put a new longer piece of pipe on. Been fine ever since. :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice - likewise, I don't think I would have known where to start looking or have attempted to, without having lurked on this forum and this thread in particular, for some time.

All the MS200Ts and back pack blower picked up and two more dropped off!

Just started porting a 357XP and will fit the MS200Ts around that. One has a chain that won't stop spinning and won't shut down, the other is in for a full work out!

PS - don't worry, I know what causes the clutch problems and the non stopping issues:001_rolleyes::lol:

PS - don't worry, I know what causes the clutch problems and the non stopping issues:001_rolleyes::lol:

So do most of us, when it comes to these common symptoms.

But in the spirit of this thread, why not take a couple of photographs of the broken clutch spring and the wire/switch that causes these symptoms and post them here?

That would further increase the educational value of the thread. :thumbup: