What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Danarm DD8f, My late father's first chainsaw, still in the shed, he never bought 2stroke for it , just the measured amount of tractor MP engine gearbox oil from the barrel at 16-1 . Spares now are allmost none existent I've been told, would like a carb cover and clutch cover to make it compleat and original. Could a modern electronic "magneto" be fitted,as the ingnition with points was allways a bit tempramental! First Chainsaw I ever used at about 13-14,cutting up bid diameter ash trunks for firewood , Dad reckond it wouldn't kick back much as it was too bloody heavy and slow!

The carb cover would be almost impossible to find, they're seldom seen in photos from when the saws were new let alone today, the clutch cover should be easier. You can buy an electronic ignition module to replace the points, they're on Amazon and ebay,

See Here

The originals were made in Australia by a company called Atom, they still make machinery but stopped making the ignition module in 2005.

This is brilliant, I get this replacing the points, however I am also looking for something that might replace the old shelac wound coil....I'm restoring a Danarm Mk 3 (Villiers 350cc) 2-man saw.

Is it as simple as getting one of the smaller induction coils from a saw/scooter/whatever and making a rig to keep it close to the magneto?

Bob

This is brilliant, I get this replacing the points, however I am also looking for something that might replace the old shelac wound coil....I'm restoring a Danarm Mk 3 (Villiers 350cc) 2-man saw.

Is it as simple as getting one of the smaller induction coils from a saw/scooter/whatever and making a rig to keep it close to the magneto?

Bob

The mounting of the coil on most modern machines gives the ignition timing as well as the voltage for the spark where yours only gives the charge and the points give the ignition timing!

It is possible but you will probably need to use a timing wheel, fabricate a timing scale and use a strobe.....oh, and get it running before this!

Don't ask me how I know!

Hi, I can see the point in replacing the points with electronics if your going to use it and can`t get any parts, the condenser would usually be the weak link in a machine of this age and certainly at one time was replaceable with a more modern part, the points aren`t a problem unless knackered, easy to set and maintain.

If I remember correctly the contacts on the points are stellite buttons brazed onto the operating mechanism and fairly robust. Villiers stuff may still be able to be sourced but if not remember that all this stuff comes from a different age and is ultimately repairable, don`t throw anything away even if you successfully replace it as having the original parts is important to any collector.

If the coil is suspect and you can`t get one, the simplest solution would be to rewind it, not difficult, just measure the wire guage and count the number of turns as you unwind it. fiddly but possible.

Just googled Villiers spares, There seems to be a fair few sites, a lot of these engines had parts in common, you may be able to find what you need, Good luck.

You can still get points and condensor for the Villiers engine fitted to the DD8F, service kits for the Tillotson HL30 are available but not as far as I know from Tillotson. The diaphragms in the carbs last well unless they've been left with petrol containing ethanol in the fuel tank/carb.

The diaphragm in the Danarm was fine as the saw hadn't been started in maybe 10 years, I have an Echo CS-701S-VL which is a newer saw (1975). I hadn't used it for 2, maybe 3 years and it had been left with fuel in it. I went to start it a couple of months ago and it was running really badly, in fact barely running. I stripped the carb and found the diaphragm had started to almost melt and was full of pinholes. Fortunately Tillotson can still supply full and part service kits for the carb on the Echo.

It a testament to the way stuff in general was built years ago, built to last and be user maintained not needing serviced by a dealer with access to engine management software and then thrown in the landfill 5 years down the line to be replaced by the latest all singing all dancing model that comes with 0.01kW more power and even more built in obsolesence.

Hi, my experience with villiers engines was from motorcycles many years ago, they had conventional slide type carbs, but if it`s any help, currently I use a fuel stabiliser ` Ethanol shield ` to protect stuff from the damaging effects of modern ethanol laced petrol, so far I`m happy with it. time will tell !

It`s only my way round the problem, I`m not trying to get involved in the Aspen debate which is definately another option, cheers.