What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well known problem with the PB-770 the Walbro WYK-345 carb that Echo use is set to run too lean but has no H adjustment screw, some of the Chinese carbs are the versions with the H adjustment screw so if I get one of them then that should solve the problem permanently if I get sent one without the adjustment then I get to replace the carb every few months until I find a supplier that does send out the adjustable ones.

Also toying with the idea of buying some Aspen to see if that makes a difference rather than running it on petrol. As backpack blowers are not used as frequently as the handheld ones the extra running costs of Aspen wouldn't be an issue.

Are you saying there is no adjustment screw under a plug in the centre of the carb swivel like there is on my echo pole hedge cutter? or there is no external adjuster screw

An MS 280 with the lower front AV rubber dropped out due to worn out side casing. (Don't leave them running on the road guys, this is what happens)

So a bit of fabricating was in order, and a few new rubbers. All good now.

[ATTACH]194311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]194312[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]194313[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]194314[/ATTACH]

Nice job Barrie - didn't think you bothered with fixes like that!

Been porting a 357XP today and fixing a seized 142 yesterday, lots on as always. lethargic MS201 tomorrow and Husqy 181SE after that!

Nice job Barrie - didn't think you bothered with fixes like that!

Been porting a 357XP today and fixing a seized 142 yesterday, lots on as always. lethargic MS201 tomorrow and Husqy 181SE after that!

I dont repair anything like this unless I know its a strong repair and even if it fails there will be no safety issues. In this case its stronger than the original so no problems.

Its surprising where the time goes though, easy to get costing a repair like that so wrong, I thought I could do that one in about 30 minutes but in reality it was closer to 90 minutes by the time i had done all the rubbers too. Obviously if I did another tomorrow it would be quicker.

Sometimes I wish I had not bothered, like with a spark plug helicoil repair that went wrong today. The original thread was so stripped out that the tap would not bite the full amount. Result is that a new pot is needed. Still, its the first helicoil fail that I have had, so must not grumble I suppose, although the customer might!

To be honest, a Big-Sert might do the job, but the cost of buying a kit for one job just is not viable, and there is so little metal in these heads I am cautious of putting too big a bit of steel in anyway because of heat absorption and expansion rates.

A Danarm DD8F mk3A that hasn't been started in a long, long time, I've never seen it running. Turns over ok on the recoil starter so will check for spark and if that's ok I'll fuel it up (12-1!!!) and see what happens. If I can get it to even fire I'll strip and service it.

Some old school fixes present, a bit of wood for the starter handle and a length of what looks the inner wire from a piece of twin & earth with no plug cap for an H/T lead.

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7942-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7940-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7941-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

A Danarm DD8F mk3A that hasn't been started in a long, long time, I've never seen it running. Turns over ok on the recoil starter so will check for spark and if that's ok I'll fuel it up (12-1!!!) and see what happens. If I can get it to even fire I'll strip and service it.

Some old school fixes present, a bit of wood for the starter handle and a length of what looks the inner wire from a piece of twin & earth with no plug cap for an H/T lead.

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7942-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7940-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7941-danarm-dd8f-mk111a.jpg

Nice project, hope it works out for you!

Cheers, no spark at present, checked the points and they seem ok, going to check the wiring tomorrow, failing that I'll have to find out how to check the magneto. :scared1:

Clean the points with a piece of folded fine abrasive paper so it cleans both contacts and then check with a multimeter for continuity and wind it over again

You may get lucky.....seen it before!

Cheers I'll give that a try, checked the magneto with a multimeter, set to 20k ohms, probe on the HT lead plug connector, probe on the cylinder head and got a reading of 3.5ohms which as far as I know is fine. Will clean/set the points and if still no go I'll check the condensor.

Electrics aren't really my thing :sad:

Clean the points with a piece of folded fine abrasive paper so it cleans both contacts and then check with a multimeter for continuity and wind it over again

You may get lucky.....seen it before!

I got lucky, it was the points, had them apart last night and managed to get a small insulator/washer back in the wrong place so had constant continuity even with the points open. Tested the condensor - ok, cleaned the points like you said and checked them again with the meter - ok

Put the points/condensor unit back on stuck on a spark plug and I have spark, strong and blue.

Need a new plug though as the original has a crack in the insulator, I was using a different plug for testing.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement :thumbup:

I got lucky, it was the points, had them apart last night and managed to get a small insulator/washer back in the wrong place so had constant continuity even with the points open. Tested the condensor - ok, cleaned the points like you said and checked them again with the meter - ok

Put the points/condensor unit back on stuck on a spark plug and I have spark, strong and blue.

Need a new plug though as the original has a crack in the insulator, I was using a different plug for testing.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement :thumbup:

Glad it worked out, had an old 032AV I sold on eBay back once a year after selling it to a local copper, local shop said it was scrap. Did what I said do to the points and bingo:thumbup:

Keep on going and hope you get it running, once it is you can do all the finishing touches until it looks real nice:thumbup: