What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Why do I do it......

Ford transit. Rear axle change, sort of.

Owner brought a new axle that has a higher ratio diff so he is not screaming the engine on the motorway, so had a good look and it all looked like a nice straight swap... Yeah right.

Old axle has the speed sensors on it. New one doesn't, so have to strip the half shafts, as the speed sensor part isn't on them. Managed to remove on half shaft finally after a lot of swearing at it. But ran out of time to carry on, well I was hungry and wanted to go home.

So Sunday will be a day of work for me as this van is needed for log deliveries next week. So stripping the other axle and checking if I have to change the half shafts or the entire diff assembly.....

I got the easy one. 372XP spares or repair off Fleabay, seller thought low compression so i felt £146 was far enough to go. Couldn't sleep last night so 3:30 am compression test in the kitchen - 80psi. Exhaust off and there is scoring visible on piston but surely it should start on 80psi?

Checked colour of plug

WP_20131222_002.jpg.22c98571c2bb3a4c1d8e7f0ec306be93.jpg

Looks ok to me, till i turned it upside down

WP_20131222_006.jpg.14e8f42504e6f439f70d0079ee07699b.jpg

Ceramic shroud loose.

New plug and fuel at a more acceptable time of the morning and she's screaming:thumbup::thumbup:

Might treat it to a piston from Dandrikop anyway.

I got the easy one. 372XP spares or repair off Fleabay, seller thought low compression so i felt £146 was far enough to go. Couldn't sleep last night so 3:30 am compression test in the kitchen - 80psi. Exhaust off and there is scoring visible on piston but surely it should start on 80psi?

Checked colour of plug

[ATTACH]143895[/ATTACH]

Looks ok to me, till i turned it upside down

[ATTACH]143896[/ATTACH]

Ceramic shroud loose.

New plug and fuel at a more acceptable time of the morning and she's screaming:thumbup::thumbup:

Might treat it to a piston from Dandrikop anyway.

80 is very low. It shouldn't actually run at that. Are you sure you done it right??? If it did run I would think not for long at that.

Scoring on piston is bad, time for new piston, before it damages the pot. Ally transfer is easy to remove, but a big score isn't....

Nice one

You have got a great deal there

I picked it up as it had no bar and i have an 18" bar and a load of chains to use up from where my 357xp and 385xp got nicked, but yes i'm chuffed with it.

80 is very low. It shouldn't actually run at that. Are you sure you done it right??? If it did run I would think not for long at that.

Scoring on piston is bad, time for new piston, before it damages the pot. Ally transfer is easy to remove, but a big score isn't....

Ran ok but died a couple of times when dropping down to idle. I let it cool down a bit and it was pulling 105psi warm.

I'll take the pot off and see if a piston alone will do it, should hope so.

Regards,

Steve.