Best electric chainsaw?

doobin

I'd like to get a powerful electric chainsaw for logging in the yard. Is the kw rating a fair comparison between makes? I only ask because cc means almost nothing when it comes to petrol chainsaws.

I've got a cheapie 1700w, and even with a Stihl bar and chain instead of that awful anti-kickback setup they come with, it's gutless. I liked the look of the 2200w Stihl, until I saw the price tag and realised Makita do one the same size for under a third of the price. And Makita are to power tools what Stihl are to two strokes.

But then I saw some even bigger (2400w) 'cheaper' models.

What should I got for? It's to be used to process 150 tons of six inch cord over the winter.

Cheers

I think that for the money required to get a good electric chainsaw, you are as well to buy a good petrol one instead. That way, you have the versatility of a completely portable saw combined with not tripping over cables in the yard.

For reference, the 2.2kw Stihl electric chainsaw retails at £550 and the MS241 (same kw output) retails at £624. With the fact that you would probably get a bigger discount with the petrol saws (more turnover of stock), the difference would be very little. But get a 346xp instead of the Stihl!

It's about noise and saving petrol. Plus an electric saw should be subject to less wear and tear (just brushes to rubuild it!).

I've got power and a concrete yard, why not get an electric saw?

Big J- I know that, I already have plenty of petrol Stihls. What I'd like to know is whether a 2.2KW Makita is the same power and performance as a 2.2KW Stihl. Like I said, cc means nothing when it comes to measuring two stoke power, but surely KW should be a fair comparison between electric saws?

As anyone tried a big electric saw apart from the Stihl?

At the very start of my chainsawing career I bought a throwaway electric chainsaw from B and Q and blew up the motor within a couple of hours. Took it back, got another, same thing happened. That's the limit of my experience with electric saws!

Would a hydraulic saw be an option?

I'd like to get a powerful electric chainsaw for logging in the yard. Is the kw rating a fair comparison between makes?

No, not really. It's a good rough guide but just as with cc's in engine's the actual output and feel.

The stated Watts or KW are usually the amount of energy the machine can consume at max load. Not the actual usefull kinetic energy output. As there are large differences in efficiency, gearing etc it does not mean that much. A different chain speed can also make much difference, with the same engine/motor. You'd have to try both really, are there any reviews available on 'tinterweb anywhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Bosch have just released an excellent electric chainsaw - BOSCH AKE 30 LI CORDLESS ELECTRIC CHAINSAW

It is the first cordless chainsaw with a 36 V lithium-ion battery. The AKE 30 LI from Bosch makes over 100 cuts with one battery charge..

Might be what you are looking for.

Edited by Steve Bullman
advertising