Absolutely spitting feathers

Dean Lofthouse

id have to agree with bob....lifes to short to get wound up by such things id take his 150 and telll him to communicate with you about such issues in the future...id just be damn glad his guy didnt kill himself on your land and make him very aware of that!...thats a mighty fine barbers chair!

It wouldn’t have bothered me in the slightest.

Clearly you have a duty of care to others, including those unlawfully on your land however if that trespasser brings tools and constructs the situation where they become injured all you need do is stand back and let the emergency services clear the mess up. No liability attaches.

Makes you wonder if the man on the saw realises how close he came to serious injury or death. I can picture him walking away with that nervous laugh of someone who gradually realises that they just missed not going home tonight.

Andy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what your saying Scott but I've got to live with him as a neighbour.

Everyone says I'm being too soft.

I'm going to make him buy minimum heavy standards but want to go for extra heavy and have them planted properly by someone qualified.

That wont be cheap because of the access, minimum telehandler to get across the river.

I'm just going to tell him that it's a condition of my felling license that the trees felled are replaced with heavy standard, if he wants to argue I can always get him to talk to my solicitor.

How do Juglans fair with the occaisional root wetting, they will be on a raised banking 4 ft above water level

It's a shame that your neighbour doesn't share your neighbourly disposition. Perhaps he has some trees in his garden you could cheerfully fell next saturday. Perhaps onto his car.

The juglans might be OK, but I guess it depends on how wet for how long. As for tree selection in a bit of a wet spot why not use trees that thrive on a bit of wet? What about a nice multi-stem river birch (Betula nigra) or Taiwan alder (Alnus formosana)? Cracking trees but potentially expensive in size. Good thing you won't be paying for them, eh? :001_smile:

this is what i mean by why take the mickey i can get nicer trees for so much less within 15 miles of you so no delivery and that must be a lot of after care for £158 and unseasoned logs at £100 a landrover full must be dearest around for or is it because delivery charge is per metre

He has asked me to supply a Landrover load of logs this week.

I'm taking him a bill for £684 inc the logs

I know he will blow his top, if he does and refuses I will start legal proceeding and involve the forestry commission and HSE.

2x Juglans XHS 14-16rb £176.25

Delivery of trees £99.87

Stakes, planting, aftercare, £158.00

Timber taken from felled trees £150

Load of unseasoned split logs £100

Total £684.12

I've already explained to him I'm only putting right his wrongs and not punishing him.

this is what i mean by why take the mickey i can get nicer trees for so much less within 15 miles of you so no delivery

So you would go out of your way to do him a favour :confused1:

and that must be a lot of after care for £158

Stakes, ties, planting and aftercare. Read the post properly Bob, I do take it you know how big a XHS tree is, it's to prepare, dig, fertilise, stake, mulch and kept watered throughout next summer. ALL FOR £158

and unseasoned logs at £100 a landrover full must be dearest around for or is it because delivery charge is per metre

If you think that's dear, try £150 for a load of 15% moisture logs or £50 per level bulk bag, have had to order another 50 bags this year, ran out last year.

A business management studies course may be the way forward for you Bob, you'll never get anywhere if your charging silly prices.

Oh sorry, forgot, your employed not self employed :sneaky2:

i am obviously too nice a guy and yes i am employed but only 3 days and am SELF EMPLOYED the other 4

there is absolutely no need to spend all that on 2 trees in a woodland in a nice large garden maybe and that is my main point

will swap you those quality trees for some whips to plant in your woodland

i am obviously too nice a guy and yes i am employed but only 3 days and am SELF EMPLOYED the other 4

there is absolutely no need to spend all that on 2 trees in a woodland in a nice large garden maybe and that is my main point

will swap you those quality trees for some whips to plant in your woodland

I don't find it acceptable to swap 1x 120ft black poplar and 1x 70ft Sycamore for a couple of "whips". If I was a little more unreasonable I'd ahve the barsteward replacing them with fully mature trees

Just had a one hour meeting with my multi millionaire neighbour about replacement tree cost.

He nearly choked on fresh air when I told him £276 to buy 2x XHS Juglans Nigra delivered inc Vat and £158 for planting stakes and aftercare.

He was constantly bartering and even tried to say I should go halves, I stood my ground and insisted. He then went on to say technically he was ok to fell the trees because the fence that he put up was on my side so the bit of land of mine on his side of the fence, he could technically claim squatters rights on.

I just said, couldn't care less what he thinks, the price is the same, and when I bought the land, I also bought the fence, so the fence is now mine.

Does anyone know how you stand legally in such a situation with regards to part of your land being on the other side of a cattle fence?

He told me if I touch the fence he will fight me in court. I told him to grow up because I couldn't care less about it, the land was being sold.

I gave him three options with regards to the replacement trees. Just to show I wasn't charging him any profit.

1: He let's me buy the tree, plant them and look after them, if they then fail in the first two years I will stand it.

2: He buys the trees and plants them and if they fail in the first two years he stands it.

3. Continue arguing with the forestry commission and the HSE

He's retired to consider his options.