Bench help please

bob

I'm guessing it's for outdoors? If so, you've a toss up between natural weathered or protected / 'shiney' to bring out the colour. Waxes are no good outdoors, (dull but brings out colour). Some oils are ok outside, but they can have a bit of a glazed look.

Personally, I would spray on a acid-cat lacquer, 10% matt finish, & rub it out with a 500 grit up to a 1000, and then wax it. or a 2 pack water based lacquer (real tuff) that you can brush or spray. Again, you can select what finish you want on ordering. Not all lacquers are 'gloss/shiney'

finishes @ http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/categories/wood-finishes/lacquers.htm

Edited by TrollSpiel

Cheers!

I put a thread up about this here http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/alaskan-mill/29088-clear-exterior-oil-varnish-lasts.html about this.

I've never tried lacquers are they complicated to apply? And are they good for outside?

Le tonkinois is what I'm using at the mo. You have to have at least 4 coats though. It'll go shiny but the last coat you can mix with this gelomat and this can finish it matt or satin. I'm going to be selling it soon but in the meantime go here to buy some Le Tonkinois natural oil varnish and Flexidisc sander I'd advise getting 5 litres and a pot of gelomatt.

Your elboes will know about it after sanding that bench!

Le Tonkinois is very nice stuff!

We tend to use an oil finish- either Osmo exterior oils or Liberon clear decking oil which works out a fair bit cheaper.

If you want a matt treatment that keeps the rain off and slows down moisture loss and timber cracking you should have a play with Thompsons Water Seal.... impressive stuff.

Use an oil finish such as tung oil, linseed oil, danish oil or finishing oil (usually a blend of some of the former...) is probably best to bring out the grain, there are versions of oils for outdoor furniture available however it will need retreating every year...

Axminster power tools a good source plenty of choice